Clutch pedal movement

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed May 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Clutch pedal movement

While having a look at the brake and clutch pedal firewall seal (or what used to be) I noticed a lot of sideways movement or slop in the clutch pedal. Checking the parts catalogue indicates a pedal bushing - part number 71 91C R1. Does anybody know where this bushing can be obtained or can cross reference it to another bushing or is there another cure for this problem ? It won't take the truck off the road but nice to be fixed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Re: Clutch pedal movement

I was not able to find a proper bushing, so I made one out of DELRIN. If you do not have a lathe, maybe you know someone who can make one for you. Another possibility is to look for bushings in a bearing catalogue. Call a bearing supply with some numbers. You will need a vernier caliper. Bushings have an inside and an outside measurement. Your pedal pivot opening may need to be reamed straight, this will change the fit of an OEM part. I had to chuck the pedal pivot in my big lathe and clean it up. New parts on work parts usually does not work well.
I hope the pictures help a little.
Attachments
L 110 BRAKE PEDAL (12) 1.jpg
BRAKE PEDAL BRACKET MODIFIED.jpg
DELRIN BUSHING.jpg
BRAKE PEDAL PIVOT IN LATHE.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 22, 2019 9:46 pm

I went here for bushing stock for my pedals.
http://www.asbbearings.com/
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 pm

It may or may not make a difference to your search, but that bushing number is 71 910 R1

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I had resigned myself to not being able to source a replacement bushing, having done some online research so your replies and photos have now firmed up my plans.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 pm

I made mine out of Delrin also. As said, it is usually not a simple remove/replace with a new bushing. Required new thrust washers and swivel joint for the clutch shaft.

Bill

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Thanks, Bill. I am nearly ready to attack this job - are you able to tell me the part numbers you refer to when you talk of "thrust washers and swivel joint" so I can be more prepared when I remove the clutch pedal unit? I have the parts diagram but nothing is shown in those terms.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Sorry no numbers. I made a washer to fit (see left side of photo). I used an off-the-shelf ball socket from Tractor Supply. I had to face off each side to get the correct width and weld it to a plate for mounting. I may have bored it to fit the shaft, but I don't remember. Hard to see it in the photo. End of the clutch shaft on the side of the bell housing.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_8012.JPG
267678.jpg
IMG_8017-001.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I used Ash Bearing for the bushing as well, but don't recall the part number. I do remember it was too long and I had to cut it to fit.

That clutch shaft bearing had me stumped for a bit. I was working on fabbing one until I found out its the same as used in the early Scouts. The Scouts use 2 on a long shaft.

Return to L, R and S