9670 Pyrometer

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:19 pm

9670 Pyrometer

My '89 has a pyrometer but the '83 didn't. The '84 Eagle I got in parts years ago had some of the parts. I plugged the "amplifier" into the '83's harness and put the gauge in the dash board, it pegged the gauge so I thought it was bad, as most pyro's are "self powered" and read zero when cold and use the electricity generated when hot to move the needle.
The Thermocouple went bad on the '89 and it also pegged the gauge. That is how I learned that with the IHC system the amplifier controls the gauge differently, if it is open it will peg the gauge if it is "shorted" it will read zero.
So I went back to the '83 as I am getting ready to put it on the "market" and shorted the thermocouple wires and the gauge went to 0. SO it looks like after all these years the system still works! I will order a thermocouple, and 10' of wire. Later this week I will weld a bung in the exhaust pipe for the thermocouple. Should have a working Pyrometer in the near future.
I need to re attach the muffler "spout" that the body shop pulled so it would fit inside. It also needs a band clamp on the muffler to hold it to upright bracket.
After all that, it needs some tires and may be brake job.
I lost a left windshield to a rock kicked up this week on the '89 and the '83 needs a right that cracked in the accident. I have both on order and will try and get them installed this week.
I have a doctor appointment at the end of the week, so am staying close to home this week.
I need to get out and drum up some interest in purchasing these cabovers.
I would not hesitate to take either truck to the north slope oil fields from here. The '83 fired right up when I went to move it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: 9670 Pyrometer

There are lots of trucking jobs unfilled in Prudhoe Bay.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Got the bung in, Thermocouple in and the extension wire installed and hooked up. It will take a trip out on the road to put enough load on the engine to get a reading.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of stuff that doesn't handle sitting well. Exhaust clamps, and exhaust in general, don't do well siting.
I had to weld a new strap to hold the muffler to the upright bracket.
Need some tires, but should be ready to go on the market.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:40 pm

The tool for the windshield lock-strip that has been on back-order finely got canceled :t0174: So I went ahead and changed the glass without it! I guess there are not enough windshield held in with the gasket with the integral lock strip for them to continue making the high end tool. The tool in question was double ended and had a aluminum handle in the center. I can buy individual tools, but that double ended one was nice, it was what my local glass shop used.
I mostly do my own now, the shop charges an arm and a leg (I suspect because they really don't want to do it either).
On the '89 the air drier purge valve started leaking. so I pulled the drier and rebuilt. Many ask why I still run AD-4's, with cartridge that you have to take a ring of bolt out to get to? My answer is: I am still running the same drier that the truck came with, I have no need to replace it. In fact I pick up spares for my other trucks from the junk-yard for $20, they almost can't give them away.
I had AD-9 on the Marmon, but after some time the threads in the base that hold the cartridge in wear, and then the drier is junk as it will not hold a cartridge. The AD-4's just keep going and parts are cheap

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:29 pm

You do good work, I hope that you are able to get your other rigs sold. Bet they would make good RV pullers.

Return to Large Trucks