'51 L 110 Engine oil dipstick

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 am

'51 L 110 Engine oil dipstick

Anybody have an original motor oil dipstick for sale or for cost of shipping (1951 L 110)? Or, is an aftermarket product available that requires a modification or, better yet, is spot on size-wise?
OR
LMK what the length is of a dipstick and precisely where the add/ok lines are located. Thnx!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Re: '51 L 110 Engine oil dipstick

I may have one, I'll take a look in the next few days as my schedule is a bit tight. If I do have one I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Binder Mike,
Thank you and appreciate the effort.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 pm

It looks like I have one that will work. You will need to clean it up on a wire wheel and change the full mark, the add mark is OK as is.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm

I was not able to get a Billet Specialties dip-stick for my Ford Flathead V8. I bought a dip-stick for a Ford 302 because it appeared to be too long. I filled the crankcase with the right amount of oil, let the oil settle for an hour. Next, I installed the new dip-stick and checked where the oil level came to. If you have a piece of .250 rod, aluminium is OK, you can do much the same thing. You could form a hook or loop on the top end for a handle.
I piece of 16 gauge wire will work just as well.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 am

nikkinutshop wrote:I was not able to get a Billet Specialties dip-stick for my Ford Flathead V8. I bought a dip-stick for a Ford 302 because it appeared to be too long. I filled the crankcase with the right amount of oil, let the oil settle for an hour. Next, I installed the new dip-stick and checked where the oil level came to. If you have a piece of .250 rod, aluminium is OK, you can do much the same thing. You could form a hook of loop on the top end for a handle.
I piece of 16 gauge wire will work just as well.

Thnx for the suggested course of action, sounds like something I am/was prepared to do if necessary.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 am

Binder Mike wrote:It looks like I have one that will work. You will need to clean it up on a wire wheel and change the full mark, the add mark is OK as is.

PM sent. Thnx

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Another source for suitable dip-stick material is the stainless stiffeners in the rubber for large industrial windshield wiper blades. Every blade has two of these stiffeners. I have made these into dip-sticks for other applications.
These flat stainless stiffeners make good components for the thumb piano or kalimba.This is an African musical instrument that is plucked and the metal strips vibrate after. https://youtu.be/Bgo_1OtePfQ
My friend from Barbados has made a few of these Kalimba. I still have hundreds of these stainless strips. They are typically about 20 inches long.
After looking at my pictures, I now remember not using the Billet Specialties Dip Stick. I made a new guide tube from threaded 1/2" OD aluminium tube. I made the dipstick knob and made a custom dipstick from stainless welding wire. After flattening the wire in two places, I marked them with an "F" for full and "A" for add.
Attachments
DIPSTICK VITON O RINGS.jpg
DIPSTICK FINAL.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Another source for suitable dip-stick material is the stainless stiffeners in the rubber for large industrial windshield wiper blades. Every blade has two of these stiffeners. I have made these into dip-sticks for other applications.
These flat stainless stiffeners make good components for the thumb piano or kalimba.This is an African musical instrument that is plucked and the metal strips vibrate after. https://youtu.be/Bgo_1OtePfQ
My friend from Barbados has made a few of these Kalimba. I still have hundreds of these stainless strips. They are typically about 20 inches long.
After looking at my pictures, I now remember not using the Billet Specialties Dip Stick. I made a new guide tube from threaded 1/2" OD aluminium tube. I made the dipstick knob and made a custom dipstick from stainless welding wire. After flattening the wire in two places, I marked them with an "F" for full and "A" for add.

That's impressive work, looks like it belongs with all of those other shiny things under the hood. Thnx for sharing

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Coffee Hound,

Check your mail box.
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S