Cab repair

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am

Cab repair

The cab on my L is rotted out where the front fenders attach to it. The cab corners are also gone but the rest of the cab is in decent shape. I had picked up an R cab last year and was going to do a swap. As I've been getting into this more I think I've come to the decision that I'm just going to cut off the pieces I need from the R cab and weld them to my existing cab. My thought was to cut the side panels off horizontally right through where the "International" badge goes. I would then drill out the spot welds and separate it at the existing seams for the sides. I'd like to know your guys thoughts and opinions on this before I start cutting. Keep in mind, there are other places of rot on the donor cab whereas on the L cab, those same areas are in great shape. That is what lead me to this decision but nothing is done yet so I'd like to hear some of your guys' thoughts.
Attachments
passR.jpg
driversR.jpg
passL.jpg
driversL.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 am

Re: Cab repair

Unbolt the cabs above the windshield and along where the firewall meets the floorboard then just swap the whole front 1/3 of the cab...
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am

ok, excellent, this is why I asked the question. I see all the bolts and seams and was wondering how big of an ordeal it is to take apart the cab and swap parts. Thanks
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 8:28 am

goyanks1 wrote:ok, excellent, this is why I asked the question. I see all the bolts and seams and was wondering how big of an ordeal it is to take apart the cab and swap parts. Thanks

I've done it several times.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 am

Heck, unless your R cab is in bad shape you might just use it on your pick-up. One of the biggest flaws with the L design is the limited visibility out of the back windows.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

the R cab I picked up has the two back windows.
Attachments
cabR.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 12:58 pm

I have taken apart 14 Old IHC cabs. I like to remove the front section and transfer it. This will be the easiest and reduces the risk of problems.
this will be a good time to reseal the seams. Prime the joints with a three part etching primer before applying sealer. Use proper automotive joint sealer. Silicone has an acidic component and may promote rusting.
When you reattach the fenders, I strongly suggest that you use a fender welting between the fender and the cab. I never use the OEM IHC crap. It traps dirt and moisture and the situation you have is the result.
I attached a picture of how I like to attach the fender welting. I use a little 3M 77 then clamp the welting to the fender while the glue set up. I like to "warm" the welting with a heat gun or a hair dryer. This help the soft welting to conform to the curve of the fender. The paper clips are from Staples. At less than 10 cents each the clips are affordable and are reusable.
If I may offer some advice? I would suggest that the remaining parts of the cab get separated and resealed also. this is a good time to sent the cab parts out for some metal cleaning. I use a place in Richmond, BC called Air Strip. Jerry, the owner prefers to use ground walnut shells for general paint removal. His technician may add glass beads to the mix to remove the rust.
I had my 1940 Ford done by them and the result was fantastic. While you may not access to Air Strip, there must be similar shop across the USA and Canada doing the same work.
\http://www.osairstrip.ca/
Attachments
FENDER GLUING THE WELTING.jpg
gluing the welting
FENDER WELTING UNIVERSAL.jpg
buy fender welting in bulk. save 50%
COWS I HERD THAT.jpg
Shocking
COW STRIPPER UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE.jpg
proper stripping is utterly important
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 03, 2019 4:26 am

Thanks for all the useful information. Another problem I discovered on the donor R cab was rot behind the driver's door weatherstrip channel near the bottom hinge. There's also rot at the top of the channel right at the corner where it turns going towards the back. I didn't see any of this until I removed all the weatherstripping. I knew going in I had a little bit of patchwork to do on this cab but not to this extent. Sad thing is the same channel on my L is fine. That's partially the reason why my first thought was just to cut and patch that panel in. At this point my intentions was to just get the truck in decent shape so I could put her back on the road. Any possible restoration type work, paint etc., would be later on. Wondering where to go from here.
Attachments
driverslowR.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2019 7:03 am

When I bought my 51 nine years ago I had my mind set on a complete restoration like I had done to a number of
other trucks in the past. I got the grinder out and was about to start removing paint and rust when I had an overwhelming feeling that I should just leave it alone and fix the mechanical parts and just drive the thing and enjoy it which is what I did for six years. In that time a number of local artists did paintings of it, a local photographer used it in photo shoots, It was on a calendar and made a regional magazine cover.It also beat out some fully restored trucks in an old truck show. When my wife and I would come out of restaurants after a meal families would be posing their kids and each other in front of it for pictures. All that over a rusty old 51! I have since become a rustoration enthusiast and my current truck is going to get the same treatment with the hopes of recapturing some of the fun I had with the L112. It gave me many hours of joy and was a truck that I felt had it's history still intact. Rustorations aren't for every one but give it some thought. Spend the next five years with it in pieces or soon be driving it and enjoying it.

DSCF6788.JPG
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 am

Great Post. This is exactly what I plan to do with one of mine. Just need to buy more than one so you are always working on something!
Next

Return to L, R and S