Gas tank repair

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Gas tank repair

I'm having the gas tank repaired on my 53 R110. I need to put new webbing between the tank and support. Any one have any suggestions for a product that will not promote rust?This is my daily driver so it's out in a kinds of weather. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Re: Gas tank repair

I'm wondering about that as well. My current thought is to use a piece of rubber, and maybe spread a little silicone sealer on it before setting the tank back on. The last one I did, I just used the same canvas webbing that IH used, and I suppose if you think about it, if it leaks again in 60 years, I probably won't care too much.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 pm

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rubber+b ... 77&bih=744
This is what I like to use. These buttons easily support the fuel tank and isolate it from the "L" brackets. The tank does not need a full contact strap. These buttons are less likely to hold moisture. You will need two for each strut.
I had an extra set of 1940 Ford, body to frame rubber isolator buttons from Bob Drake Reproductions.
Silicone sealer is slightly acidic and will promote corrosion on bare metal surfaces
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

How about tank straps? Does anyone know where to get replacements? When I got my L the tank was already taken out because it had a few pinholes. I have since been able to find an original tank that I'd like to put in but need new straps. Any help would be greatly appreciated
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Return to L, R and S