Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:17 am

59 Metro

56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: 59 Metro

I really like this METRO. I would buy it in a New York Minute if it were in BC. It is 25 h (1,571.6 mi) via I-84 W. Add the cost of getting it here, what ever that is, to the USD converted to CDN is $11,423.32. OUCH!! :t3901;

I have noticed the prices of Old IHC trucks at an all time high. I used to get really good trucks for $100 and sometimes free.
I am thinking the much higher pricing on the other trucks from the 1950s has people looking at IHC. The only reasons I have stayed with the Old IHC vehicle option is because I like the look, the rarity and I never consider using an original drivetrain. I have lots of replacement sheetmetal.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 am

Nikki, I think you are right. I remember my dad buying old IHs back in the 80s for next to nothing all the time. He even bought a one owner 64 once for $300 from a plumber who just decided that he wanted A/C in his work pick-up.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 pm

I like the Sears radio in the upper valance,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 pm

Is that an 8-track just below the radio?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 am

Looks like it. I remember when you could buy rebuilt engines from the Sears catalog. Not old enough to remember the "Allstate" car the Sears sold in the catalog however.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

In Canada, Sears sold the Allstate. The Allstate was a Henry J. Sears also sold Cummins Oil Engines. The Sears policy of return it if you don't like it caused a financial hardship for Clessie L Cummins. Many farmers were not familiar with the engine and had trouble with starting. The engines were returned to Cummins.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am

Never knew they sold Cummins, wonder if that was just a "Simpson-Sears" (Canada) only deal? Still a lot of Sears houses in the states, they can be of historic value. The Henry J- Allstate pre-dates my time.
Sears started out as a junkyard, then he came up with the catalog sales to rural North America and as the saying goes, "the rest is history". The local Sear outlet just closed, it didn't have much of any value, I don't know how it stayed open as long as it did.
The management of K mart/Sears is despicable, they sold off anything of value (Craftsman, Kenmore etc) all while taking bonuses while running what remained into the ground. Both those brands used to be right up with the best, or at least 2nd tier. Now they are junk.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I was given this book by the CEO of Cummins. The book was part of a reward, to me, for some improvements I suggested for the Caps fuel system. Thankfully CAPS has been replaced with Common Rail.
https://www.amazon.com/Engine-That-Coul ... 0875846130
I have read the book several times and I will read it again. The book is an easy read and documents the relationship between Cummins and Sears. This book also tell the story of Clessie Lyle Cummins installing one of his Cummins engines in a car and driving it from Columbus to New York.
I do not remember if these Cummins Engines were offered in Sears Canada. I will try to find out.
https://youtu.be/txQUz5GysjI
https://youtu.be/UC4qqB4jy6o
I am actively looking for https://youtu.be/K_V4F7ImYeA. There are very few old marine shops left around here. I may have a lead but it is not promising.
The Allstate or Henry J was sold in Canada. One of my mother's sisters drove a Henry J/ Allstate.
My Mother's family immigrated to Canada in about 1920. The car they came to Canada in was a 1920 Willys Overland Knight. Their trip 1200 mile trip from Hardy, Nebraska to Southern Alberta took 18 days. Google, 2019, suggests that drive is now 18 hours on paved Interstate. Their trip to Southern Alberta was for free homestead land.
Interesting side note, My grandfather was friends with Petersen in De Witt, NE.
My cousin lives in a Sears Catalogue modular house. She lives near Red Dear, Alberta. I have been in her house/home several times. It is a very stylish two story. The house is on her grain farm.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Sears Roebuck sold some really nice houses. They were sold in knock down form and everything was pre-cut and erected on site. They were sold anywhere there was a railroad siding that they could be off loaded from. One of the ways to tell a sears house is to go in the attic and look up at the rafters. If they are numbered it's a good indication that it is a sears house. Compared to today's modular's which aren't bad they are (some pun intended) a cut above!
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to Diamonds in the Rough