36 c-1 oil filter and oil type help please

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:54 pm

36 c-1 oil filter and oil type help please

Anyone know where I can buy a oil filter element, part numbers ect. For a hd 213. Also what type and weight oil are you all running. My motor is 100% stock and never torn down. thanks in advance

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Re: 36 c-1 oil filter and oil type help please

Filters for the canister come up for sale on ebay all the time. My 213 did not come with a filter canister so I have had to use something that looks very similar and create some features to make it look proper. At it's basics, you are looking for a sock style filter that by all accounts is difficult to get into the container. These style of filters are/where know as toilet paper roll filters. In my case, under all the crude and yuck. I was able to locate a part number stamped into the canister. Posting a picture of what you have might be helpful.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm

I have a 1939 D-2 with the HD213 and use a WIX 51002 oil filter on mine.

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I wanted to be cautious and not recommend a specific filter. As I said. My motor never had a filter. There can be no telling if his was added at some point and time over the years even though he states 100% stock. There are different style canisters over the years and models. He might be ok and make good use of the recommended filter. But I would caution that there are some unknowns. If you/he uses this, ensure a working gauge and monitor the system carefully. No filter and more frequent oil changes would be much better for your motor than oil starvation. A motor with poor clearances and adding a restriction might not survive long.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 pm

BlindSquirrel36C-30 wrote:I wanted to be cautious and not recommend a specific filter. As I said. My motor never had a filter. There can be no telling if his was added at some point and time over the years even though he states 100% stock. There are different style canisters over the years and models. He might be ok and make good use of the recommended filter. But I would caution that there are some unknowns. If you/he uses this, ensure a working gauge and monitor the system carefully. No filter and more frequent oil changes would be much better for your motor than oil starvation. A motor with poor clearances and adding a restriction might not survive long.

The filters used before 1950 or so were all bypass filter, they can starve the engine of oil. They have a built in restricting in the housing not the filter itself that limits hw much oil can pass, regardless if the element is plugged or missing. Bypass filter are plumbed in parallel with the engine, full flow are in series and can effect or starve an engine so almost all have a bypass valve to prevent starvation.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Thank for your responses, after more research I found in my parts manual that the oil filter was an option, and I guess it was an option that my truck doesn't have. No canister anywhere on the truck. I will run mi e how it was built and just change the oil frequently like my lawn mower lol.

Return to 1940 and Older