Cummins engine swap questions

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Cummins engine swap questions

I know a number of members here have replaced their IH SD220 engines with Cummins diesels. I'm sorta thinking about that...............so, there are a
number of questions that come to mind. Since this would be a leap into the unknown for me, can anyone tell me:
1) What does the "4bt" stand for ? ( obviously, the 4 indicates 4 cylinders. What does the "bt" stand for ?
2) What was the range of years that Cummins mfg'd. this engine ?
3) Was it installed in vehicles besides passenger cars ?
4) What might be the typical price range one should expect to pay for this engine from a junkyard---assuming it is complete, and claimed to be in
running condition ?
5) OK, it was in running condition, but in truth, it needs an overhaul. How much might one reasonably expect that to cost ?
6) Would my newly re-cored SD220 radiator be of sufficient capacity to cool the Cummins engine ?
7) Would the trans that came out of the passenger car with the Cummins be a dependable unit to keep with it ? ( My '54 R112 will never be used for
heavy loads ).
8) If I jumped into this, would it be prudent to also replace the rear end ? My existing original unit is a 3.73:1
9) Finally, but not necessarily my last question: Has anyone put together a complete, step-by-step guide for this conversion ?

OK, I guess that's all I can think of FOR STARTERS . If I proceed with this, I'd expect to come up with many more...........
I appreciate any and all answers that any of you folks offer up, truly !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 am

Re: Cummins engine swap questions

Go to 4btswaps.com.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Try using the SEARCH function on this forum. Search for 4bta. You may also want to use the search for Cummins.
There is lots of information on a 4bta transplant into an L110 with a 4X4 conversion. I don't recall who posted this information. He is an irritable old MF if I remember correctly. You had better have some good fabrication skills and lots of tools or you are done before you start. I hope you have deep pockets. Plan on spending a minimum of $15,000.
Try Google search. The previous post suggested 4bt swaps as a good start.
I hope, for your sake, you know something about what you are planning to do. There is a lot of BS and it is important to know the difference.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:35 pm

B is just series of engines, nothing more. Cummins has C, M, N, Q, etc. The T stands for turbo.

The 4 were used in Delivery vehicles, not passenger vehicles. Good luck finding one, everybody wants to repower something with 4 wheels with that series of engines.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:50 pm

I paid over $3000 for a not running core. The rebuild of the injection pump was another $1400. Add another $1000 plus for other bits and pieces to freshen the engine. Matching an automatic transmission to the 4bta and buying and adapting a transfer case to the transmission pushed the out of pocket to about $10,000. Have fun with that.
I may not be able to properly explain the difference between an automotive Diesel injection pump and stationary Diesel injection pump design. Maybe CB89 will help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I may not be able to properly explain the difference between an automotive Diesel injection pump and stationary Diesel injection pump design. Maybe CB89 will help.

There can be no difference to alot of difference depending on the design of the fuel system. Some that are set up for generator service only have to run at one speed, and don't need to worry about advancing timing as the engine speed increases. Other engine with fuel pump and injector system may only have a max and min speed governor for automotive use while industrial pumps will have a full range governor. Torque curves can be different for different applications.
Full on injection pumps with simple nozzles in the head often have full range governors built into the injection pump, I believe the B series uses this type. You want an engine in "automotive trim" to make it easier. It will be set up for an SAE bell and most automotive accessories.
This sounds from you questions like your 1st go at an engine swap. If so I would either have someone who has done many help you or help someone else do theirs before attacking yours. There is so much more then getting the lump of iron to fit in the hole!
Unlike most here, I would not have a diesel in a pick-up. Don't get me wrong I own 4-5 depending on how you count them, but all are in heavy trucks that run all day long or not at all. For something that I am going to take to town and back, gasoline is the hands down winner. Starts easy in the cold, less to maintaine, simple braking systems (vacuum boosters can't be used on a diesel without an addition vacuum pump).
If this is your "first rodeo" I recommend getting the truck running and drivable 1st then after you have some seat time in it, you can decide if all the work is worth all the money and trouble.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

I have Diesel everything because it makes my willy longer. I agree CB89, there is no good and practical reason to go Diesel in a pickup. I want a Diesel and I can afford to have a Diesel, so that is the simple reason. My Cummins Dodge has a higher resale value is the only other excuse.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm

There was one small Bosch injection pump that only had a max-min governor, I can't remember the model, but had one on a Peugeot, the other Peugeot had a CAV pump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm

I should say, I like my Cummins Ram 2500 for the excellent fuel economy. I often find myself driving the Coquahala Highway 5, AKA The Highway Through Hell, of TV fame. The grades are steep and the altitude is high. My 5.9 Cummins 24 valve pulls like a train even with a load of heavy workshop machinery behind. My wife drives a VW Jetta Diesel. On one of her trips to Portland OR. her Jetta achieved 70mpg. My Ram 2500 will never get that kind of economy, but mid to higher 20s mpg is not uncommon. The two most often comments I get with my 2002 Dodge Cummins is a complaint about the loud engine or an offer to buy. Maintenance and parts are often twice as expensive as gasoline powered. A Cummins "B" series water pump is less expensive and possibly the easiest of any engine to change.
I built an IHC R120 around an IH 6.9 Diesel. The fuel economy doubled, reliability was better by many times and that sound was worth all of the grief.
In keeping with my often made statement, most persons looking under the hood at a show and shine do not know anything. I used to tell the curious my truck was an IHC Factory one-off demonstrator and has been in our family since new.
Direct injection gasoline will continue to change everything and rival Diesel economy.
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
Attachments
FIRST ENGINE FIT-UP.jpg
first fitting
Cummins Package.jpg
The "package"
always right CB89.jpg
It is true. I wish I knew half as much

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

The holy grail will be compression ign direct injected gasoline. When and if they fine a way to build that, you'll see gasoline mileage and torque equal that of diesel.
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off