KB11, R-190, Loadstar 1600

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: KB11, R-190, Loadstar 1600

cornbinder89 wrote:
If you are hell bent on an air suspension I would recommend any of the Hendrickson air ride clones. The 1st generation IHC, Volvo, Mack and Pete are all of this design and do well. Hendrickson designed and sold them to each of those mfg with the mfg's name on the brackets. These are a Z spring/air bag design and uses the best of both air and steel to ride well. It would take very little modifications to fit to an old frame (only the panhard rod would need to be custom)
Having said that, it is a truck and will always ride like one, It is designed to carry a load, and never to be used as a "car" and will never ride like one.

Do you think a "air leaf" or Z-beam off a peterbilt will be to big and heavy? I believe only a few medium duty trucks came with them. I have seen online Uhaul had their S1600 26' trucks retrofitted with a low air leaf (z beam) suspension, but I doubt I will ever find a good set near me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 pm

I have used a combination of reduced original leaf spring pack and air springs. The OEM springs controlled the axles and the air springs carried the load. I use a https://www.pscpartsstore.com/ge/e-4323 height control valve.
We used this system on my R120. This system is going into an L110, Diesel, 4X4 we are assembling. My 1940 Ford has sir springs and leveling valves.
In these lighter duty systems, I like to use left and right height control in the rear and a single "T" line for left and right in the front.
One thing I should mention is, if the spring pack is reduced enough, it may become necessary to install a lower control rod to prevent axle wind-up under power.
Attachments
CLOSE E NUF.jpg
Ford left front leveling valve
Left rear suspension 2.jpg
left rear 1940 Ford
LEVELING VALVES - Copy.jpg
rear L110 with DANA 44
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 pm

The Z leaf on a full size IHC used until recently should work fine on the K. Air spring rates are fairly stiff as they compress, the steel take over after the air spring starts to compress. Air does good on small rapid movements but large movements are better handled by steel.
There are many designs of air suspensions, I have driven many. Those like Neway that use a fixed swing arm with a following air bag can be quite harsh. The KW 8 (or 4 bag on a single axle) dampen by moving air between bags, but don't compress much, look at the size of the bag, both diameter and height, there isn't much.
Ideally you want a fair bit of travel with a slow rise in spring rate as it compresses. The problem with travel is it changes pinion angles, so there are two contradicting ideals.
The Z spring/ air bag set up tends to maintain pinion angle as it compresses.
Any big truck junkyard should be able to supply a used unit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Nikki, what do you expect to gain by using two level valves but T the system together? one seems to contradict the other,
AIr ride system work not by moving air into and out of the system, but by both transfering air already in the system and by compressing the air already in the system.
If you take those valves apart, you will find a T spoon that open two Schrader valves (tire valve cores) one adds air, one vents it. The volume that the valve can pass in the short amount of time is very limited, and has little effect. Their purpose is simply to maintain ride height as the static load is increased or decreased on the suspension.
The thing air suspension do real well is maintain a set ride height regardless of load placed on it (within reason).
Twin level valves with isolated left and right systems are useful when off center or high center of gravity loads are carried, it prevents tipping or leaning in corners by preventing transfer of air volume to the less loaded side of the system.
edit: Ah, I re read and now understand that you used a T in the front suspension, not a T in front of the rear suspension.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 pm

There is an EDIT feature.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am

I know, but I put it out there and wanted to admit my mistake, not pretend it never happened.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:05 pm

I was lucky enough to find a truck salvage yard that is 5 hours from me. They have exactly what Im after. They have a medium duty Hendrickson Z-beam setup. The guy knew exactly what I wanted as they put the same thing on a Diamond T the salvage yard restored. $750 gets me both sides with new bags and shocks, no axle (which I didnt want anyways).

No I just gotta plan a weekend to drive there and back.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok so I have perused all the KB posts on here and have several more ideas Im going to tackle. I want to make a solid windshield, but dont want to tear up my good one thats rust free. I saw a couple posts about a solid windshield but no pictures or how to's, is there someone that actually has sealed theirs up?

Next I need to locate some mirrors to.

Lastly Ive been messing around on several different forums and have yet to come by a KB with air brakes, is that something thats more rare or just no one is mentioning them. Any KB over a 6 seems hard to find as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:06 pm

At the time of the K's there were two competing types of trailer brakes. Air and Vacuum, air was relatively new and was more complex then hyd or vacuum. Remember, hydraulic brakes were little more than 10 years old, before that mechanical rods and cable.
Most K's had hydraulic with a hydrovac booster. Easy to convert or add vacuum trailer brakes to make a semi tractor.

Air brakes were used almost excluivly for semi tactors and they had to be used with semi trailers made for air brakes.
That reason is why you don't see many air brake K's, although they were an option for any K over a -6.
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself