Ebrake

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Ebrake

I am going thru brakes on my l110, finally got the rear hubs off, my 50.00 puller from epay actually worked very well, had both hubs off in under 10 minutes. I have disassembled one side completely to redo the brakes. The emergency brake cable is attached to the bar inside the drum, with no easy way to remove it. I wanted to remove everything for a thorough cleaning, painting and bench assembly. I am seeking advice as to how to proceed, if removing cable is advisable, or if I should leave it intact and work around it, which will be more difficult imo.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am

Re: Ebrake

Back in those days the cable brake was called the emergency brake. This brake was often used when the service brakes failed. This became an emergency. With the better brakes on new vehicles, the old "E" brake became the parking brake.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:45 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Back in those days the cable brake was called the emergency brake. This brake was often used when the service brakes failed. This became an emergency. With the better brakes on new vehicles, the old "E" brake became the parking brake.

Not that this helps the OP with his question and I apologize for that but I think the term "emergency brake" changed to "parking brake" more to do with the big auto manufactures dodging liability as these brakes unless meticulously maintained didn't stop much of anything when it came to a large vehicle at speed.

Rookie I can't help with the cable but will mention that oil leaks in front of the e-brake will be it's down fall. I'd suggest addressing those problems first if you haven't already.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 pm

I can't speak from experience here, since my '54 R112 has the emergency brake setup that's attached to the drum at the trans output shaft. Having said that,
I'd think that, even if it is difficult & time consuming, removing the cable from the backing plate, so that you can do the bench-work and detail work you'd
like to do, would be well worth the effort in the end. After all, it was just men that put it together.....not gods, so, there has to be a way to take it apart
to make necessary repairs.
Good luck, regardless of how you decide to proceed !!! :-)
Also, I agree with Binder Mike----the change in nomenclature from "emergency brake" to "parking brake" was all about avoiding liability. Same thing
happened to the state of Pennsylvania, when they changed the name of their "guard rails" to "guide rails". I never heard of anything so stupid, but there you
have it.....avoiding liability.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 am

Nikkinutshop,
Are you talking about blowback from motor ? The brakes were pretty black with residue, never thought about it coming in through the brake cable. The rubber plugs were missing too. I'll be addressing oil leaks as soon as I get it running. Hasn't run in 15 years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 am

I'm pretty sure the e-brake cable attaches to the e-brake lever in a manner similar to most '60's, '70's, and '80's passenger cars with Bendix drum brakes. For the most part, the cable can't be disconnected from the lever while the shoes are in place. The lever attaches to the rear shoe with a "horseshoe" clip. Spread the horseshoe clip and remove the shoe from the lever. Then you can likely see how the cable attaches to the lever, and remove it. To remove the cable from the backing plate, a #10 fuel line screw-type hose clamp is the ticket.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 am

fordtrimotor wrote:Nikkinutshop,
Are you talking about blowback from motor ? The brakes were pretty black with residue, never thought about it coming in through the brake cable. The rubber plugs were missing too. I'll be addressing oil leaks as soon as I get it running. Hasn't run in 15 years.

The black residue is likely brake dust [asbestos] and metal particles from the drum. Doubt any engine "blowback" [whatever that is] entered the brake drums.

The rubber plugs for the adjusters were never a problem, even if they were missing. If you drove through water that came into the drums, the missing plugs would actually let the water out of the drum faster. But the fact they are absent generally didn't cause the drum brake to "suck up" much outside residue.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:59 am

No not the wheel brakes. I was talking about the emergency brake on the drive line, those get oil on them oil from leaks in the transmission or transfer case if it is a 4x4. at least that is what I was referring to although if you have a full floating axle in the rear then that is another source of oil on brake shoes if the seals are leaking or the axle vent tube is plugged up, that will force oil past the seals
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am

I do not know where you came up with connecting me with that BS. :t0116:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:29 pm

My mistake, I was actually referring to binder Mikes comments on oil entering the emergency brake. That would make sense if I had a driveline brake, which I do not. The cable system is mounted behind trans , so I thought that is what he was talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
Next

Return to L, R and S