Can a Factory ID Tag be Wrong?

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 am

Can a Factory ID Tag be Wrong?

Hi,
I recently purchased an auxiliary trans / transfer case combination. The aux tag says model R-8341-D and the transfer case tag says model 738E. I know they use a slightly different 8341 case for an aux trans married to a transfer case, but my 8341 looks different, very different. Biggest noticeable difference is that every 8341 aux trans I've seen on the internet has a -6-bolt pto opening on the Drivers side but my 8341 has a -8-bolt pto opening on the Passenger side. Somewhere I read on the internet only the 9000 series of aux boxes have a 8-bolt pto. I've never seen a 9000 series aux trans, but I have seen a lot of internet pictures of 8341 aux transmissions and they all have -6-bolt pto openings on the drivers side and their cases don't look like mine.

It's important to know because the seller took off the cover to "show" the good condition of the trans and he got a lot of junkyard dirt and crud in the transmission. So I will need to disassemble it to clean it inside and out and at the very least I will need all new seals and gaskets. I don't want to order them for a 8000 series aux box if I have a 9000 aux box. Prior to this project the only aux trans I've ever seen and/or installed was the little Spicer 5831 3-speed in my 1-ton truck so I have no experience with theses larger boxes. My case is clearly not like the other 8000 series cases so, your opinion, do I order parts for a 8000 or 9000 series aux box? Or are the internal parts the same for both series of aux transmissions and only the pto cover gasket is different?

Here is a clear series of shots of a 8341-D with the -6-bolt pto on the drivers side:

https://truckpartsinventory.com/parts/details/82236945

Here is a pic of my 8341-D trans with transfer case and with its top cover removed (it has no pto opening on the drivers side):

And here you can see all the fresh dirt and crud on the gears and in the case that got in when he took the cover off:

Here's the aux trans label:

And the transfer case label:

And here you can see the -8-bolt pto cover:

Just for reference here is the rear of the transfer case:

Thank you.
Sorry, but I don't know how to delete the duplicate attachments below.
Attachments
TC8.jpg
TC5.jpg
TC4.jpg
TC3.jpg
TC9.jpg
TC1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:41 am

Re: Can a Factory ID Tag be Wrong?

I don't have an documentation to back up this answer, but it seems unlikely that 2 different series of auxiliary trans would have the same internal parts, especially when different series normally have different torque capacities. A heavy truck parts supplier would probably have either gasket on the shelf, otherwise that would be an easy gasket to make from flat gasket material. If it were mine, unless I believed it had bad bearings or other issues, I would flush it a couple times, seal it back up, refill it, then change the oil after a hundred miles or so.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 pm

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/2336-2_135.pdf

Shows a 8 bolt PTO on 8341 on the passenger side.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:00 am

Yes, you're right ... I stand corrected. The 8341 shown on page 1 (the cover of the pdf file) is clearly different from the 8341 case shown on page 19. Mine looks just like the case on page 19. There must have been a case upgrade sometime in the 70's. All the pictures I've seen on the internet of 8341's have been from 60's and 70's trucks but mine came from a 1980 Autocar. I wonder when Spicer stopped production, ... but that puts my mind at rest as there are several bearing and a couple internal part upgrades and its nice to know I have the later version of the trans.
You have a sharp eye - thank you, Sir.
And Happy New Year!
Steve

Return to Large Trucks