YRC Freight

If you can haul, or need something hauled, this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm

YRC Freight

I thought I'd mention this after getting quotes as high as $1,100.00 to deliver an engine and some parts from central Missouri 900 miles to Albuquerque NM I remembered someone mentioned YRC Freight on this site so I gave them a call, their staff was very helpful and I got a price of $130.00. I did use their terminal to terminal shipping, the seller was willing to drop it off at his end and I picked it up at the terminal on my end which made it very affordable. A fork truck is available at the terminals for loading and unloading. I just wanted to put this out there for the members here because I feel this is a great way to ship truck parts without breaking the budget and I wanted to let people know about my good experience so that it might help them as well.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: YRC Freight

The big LTL carriers know how to do LTL. Sometimes its best to go with their strengths.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Binder Mike wrote:I thought I'd mention this after getting quotes as high as $1,100.00 to deliver an engine and some parts from central Missouri 900 miles to Albuquerque NM I remembered someone mentioned YRC Freight on this site so I gave them a call, their staff was very helpful and I got a price of $130.00. I did use their terminal to terminal shipping, the seller was willing to drop it off at his end and I picked it up at the terminal on my end which made it very affordable. A fork truck is available at the terminals for loading and unloading. I just wanted to put this out there for the members here because I feel this is a great way to ship truck parts without breaking the budget and I wanted to let people know about my good experience so that it might help them as well.

wow - I just contacted YRC freight on their web site chat line and got the following quote: " SG-98219959 $2402.87, from Buffalo NY to Klamath Falls OR including a liftgate at delivery and a courtesy discount. " .
That's over $2,400.00 to ship a truck transmission on a 3 x 4 ft square pallet and they don't deliver anywhere near me. Klamath Falls is over two hours away and that is the closest they get to me.
I also don't need a liftgate at delivery if they can deliver to Alturas, Calif.
Wish I knew who you spoke to ....

Perhaps if I had it delivered to a city they service regularly, such as Boise, Idaho I could then find someone to take it from there to Alturas, Calif. ...Just trying to come up with different, and cheaper, shipping possibilities.
Last edited by overdriveSteve on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:59 pm

He shipped terminal to terminal, which is why it was so cheap. NO lift gate, no finding an address where the person may or may not be home. You added liftgate and they have to make a special trip to pick it up. If shipping LTL always cheapest to bring it to a freight terminal and have it picked up and the receiving end at a freight terminal.
There are plenty of LTL carriers, Overnight (UPS freight), ESTES, Old Dominion, etc. call around, but try and keep it terminal to terminal.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:03 pm

I think they added "liftgate needed at delivery" because outside of my city of Alturas, I don't know of any business who would take a delivery for me.
Last edited by overdriveSteve on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:29 pm

I just called UPS Freight .... they started quoting me $5000 plus dollars but then started applying "discounts" when they saw I was not interested in using them at that price range. In the end it was quoted QT50184765 at $1,914.00. What a learning experience for me .... For some reason I did not think it would be so expensive. Less than four years ago to have a full-size pallet with a truck transmission, transfer case, and a lot of other truck parts shipped from Washington to Los Angeles was less than $200. Two thousand dollars shipping is out of my budget, and I've already paid for the parts. If the other companies quote the same as YRC Freight and UPS Freight quoted, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 am

Check with Fastenal, a local store if they can ship from there to another one close to destination. https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(thi ... -logistics)
When I shipped something to Ohio from Idaho, it had to be on a pallet and "boxed" so that they could stack on top of it if needed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:49 am

Thank you, Sir, for the Fastenal tip. When I called them they said they no longer ship to California or Nevada and do not plan to resume any time soon. But I did not ask about other near-by states. I may just have to have it shipped in stages by two different parties.
I wonder how best to contact other independent shippers, other than through U-Ship which I will leave as a last resort.
Thanks.
People must really hate doing business in California. But then again, I do too as I buy my gas in Oregon whenever I can for 60 cents a gallon less than I pay in Calif, or paint about $2 to $4 less a gallon, etc etc. . .
Steve

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Did not know about California or Nevada, I avoid California if at all possible. Last time I was there was to move a 5th wheel trailer for some folks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm

As Cornbinder89 pointed out, my shipment was terminal to terminal . I bought my motor from Terrell who is a member here and he was extremely helpful and willing to drop the engine off at his local YRC terminal that was in his town. This helped me a bunch! The nearest YRC terminal on my end was 150 miles south of me in Albuquerque meaning a three hundred mile round trip for me to get it with my truck and trailer which for the price of the freight I was willing to do!

I would suggest getting a quote from them by speaking with an actual representative. The young woman I spoke with was very helpful and got me get through the nuts and bolts of the transaction when I was having problems doing it online. I can't say enough good about them.
56 S120 4x4,

Return to Transportation Network