new member with 1936 C40

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 pm

new member with 1936 C40

DSCN0870 - Copy.JPG
1936 C40 project
Hello,
I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to join the group. I picked up a 1936 C40 truck a few months ago. I'm retired and was looking for a project. I was originally looking for a vintage pickup of some kind, but really like the look of the C-series trucks. I bought what was supposed to be a C30, but when I started looking at things it just didn't match up. The 5 speed transmission was the first clue. Then the engine, and wheelbase and leaf spring measurements didn't match either, but all match for a C40. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised the find out my 1 1/2 ton truck was actually a 2-3 ton truck. Anyhow, here's a pic. It's pretty solid, but obviously needs a lot of work. After a carb rebuild and a new fuel pump and fuel lines, it runs pretty well and will move under it's own power. The driveline brake works after a bit of repair, but the wheel brakes are completely non-functional at this point (front slave cylinders were seized, and the back slave cylinders leak almost as fast as I can add fluid). Anyhow, here's a "before" pic.
RJB
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: new member with 1936 C40

Welcome. Nice truck. You have lurked, so you should know there are many folks here with a tremendous amount of knowledge of these old trucks, willing to help with your project. Best of luck, and keep the pictures coming!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks, and yes, lots of good info and knowledgeable people here. This is my first International, so I'm sure I have a lot learn.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 am

Welcome, that's in very good condition for a 36, congratulations on your find.
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks,
Yes, it's in pretty good shape considering it's over 80 years old. It has a few "farmer" repairs that need to be fixed. The exhaust is held on by bailing wire and plumber tape, and the wiring is a mess of crumbling original wires and added on patches. I'm in the process of rewiring it as I go. So far, the essentials to make it run are done but that's it. At some point it was repainted with a brush and it is pealing to bare metal, but the only rust through is a bit at the bottom of the drivers side door. The story is that it has been parked in a covered shed for 30 years. I find it interesting that the original owner apparently paid for the optional oil bath air cleaner but didn't spring for the optional oil filter. It does have the usual cracks in the front fenders that have been welded, but not as bad as some of the ones I've seen. Anyhow, should be a fun project if I can just find parts when needed. The next major task is to get the rear wheels and hubs off so I can work on the rear brakes.
RJB
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:24 pm

I haven't seen an engine in that family that didn't have an oil bath air cleaner. I don't think it was an option.
At the time that engine was built oil filters weren't common. Even when used, were only the bypass type. You can easly add one from a later BLD or FAx engine. The oil filter base also holds the relief valve.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I can't say I've seen a C40 without the oil bath air cleaner either, but according to the truck specifications document I found it was an option. The parts catalog for the C40 shows both a "Air Cleaner (Wire Wool Type)" and a "Air Cleaner (Oil Type) (Special)". Of course after 80 years, who knows what was original for any one truck. The documents say mine should have a Zenith carb, but it has a Rochester. Anyhow, this is from http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... c/id/36097. I'm glad mine has the optional cab!

Special Equipment: The following can be supplied at
additional cost. Fully-enclosed cab with one-piece windshield,
rear-vision mirror, and windshield wiper; front
seat section; windshield; high-tension magneto ignition;
power tire pump; oil filter; oil-type air cleaner; governor;
booster-brakes; shock absorbers; bodies and equipment
for all purposes; various tire combinations.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Since Rochester built their first carburetor (a two barrel) in 1949, and their first single barrel in 1950, yours probably is not original ;)

I would be on the look out for the correct Zenith; MUCH better carburetor.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:37 pm

That is probably a good idea long term, but right now I just want to get the brakes working and get tires and wheels figured out for this. The front wheels are okay (3 piece with split rim) but it has 2 different kinds and sizes of wheels on the back, including three of the split wheel type. I'm assuming those will need to be replaced. The tires are definitely trash.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm

The ones with a solid side ring and a split across the rim base at the valve stem slot are what IHC used for many year and are likely the originals. They take a little knowledge to work on them safely but are fine to use if in good shape.
It is hard to find narrow 20" rims these days so if yours are in good shape, I would stick with what you have.
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself