oil filter canister-D-2

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:50 am

oil filter canister-D-2

I thought for sure that i have read in this forum about D-2 owners whose HD-213 engines had optional oil filters but cannot find posts. Do any of you D-2 owners have oi lfilters in your trucks? Thanks for any response.- Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am

Re: oil filter canister-D-2

Hi Stickman: Yes the HD213 could have a DeLuxe bypass filter, usually mounted towards the back of the engine on the drivers side. The name is stamped on the top cover, along with "use JC element". The sock type filter element is still available from NAPA, filter number 1011. I used to own a second D-2 with an HD213 that did not have a bypass filter and looked like it never had one. So maybe it was an option.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:45 pm

Mine is an early one-1937- about the 13th thousand one built I think. I think maybe IHC started adding the filters as an option later on. Thanks for the response.- Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 pm

A Sold one from Ebay to show what it looks like. I would say that price might be worth it cuz old ones are a mess of goop and rust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Oil-Filter-Canister-by-DeLuxe-Products-Co-LaPorte-Ind-Hot-Rod-30-039-s-/282996282959?nma=true&si=6u2MmHymVs6yopnM2Oqmq1%252FpDKk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one is correct for a D-2. It uses a JC filter sock. Another Deluxe type uses a CU filter element and is a different size or type but would likely work as well as any bypass filter could.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 am

Thank you for the info. i have one very similar to the one you sold. What I am trying to figure out is where an additional opening into the engine should be. My engine has a screw in plug just above the oil pan but no other opening. Looking at the Green Diamond engine in my KB-3. I see another threaded opening a few inches above . At the moment, there is no oil filter on the truck as it is in the middle of a restoration so a flexible oil line is screwed into both openings. Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 am

Stickman: On a Green Diamond block the oil return would go to a threaded port that is about 4 inches back from where the dipstick tube goes into the block. If you take a piece of hose and blow into the port you can hear air go into the crankcase if you remove the dipstick.
The fitting about 4 inches above that return port is a hex head bolt that contains the innards for the oil pressure relief valve. Hope this helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 pm

d2- crazy- That does help but I still don't know where the second threaded port should go on the HD 213- does it replace the oil pressure relief valve?- Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:53 pm

These bypass filters only need one side connected to the main oil pressure gallery and the other side returns to the sump. So it doesn't really matter where, as long as it drains to the sump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:08 pm

there SHOULD be a square plugged hole above the big oil pressure relief nut, that is the pressurized outlet to filter, below the relief valve nut there is another squared plug hole, that is the return, at least that's how it is on a GRD and the motors are very similar,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 am

Just compared my green diamond to my HD 213. Green diamond is as bedrockjon and others have posted regarding the two square plugged ports above and below hex pressure relief valve nut. The upper port on the GD is drilled into a round boss above the pressure relief valve. My HD-213 has the boss not drilled so it is pretty clear that I only need to tap into the boss to be able to install the oil filter. The lower port is already there with a plug in it. Probably was set up this way so the optional oil filter could be quickly installed if a customer wanted it. Thanks for everyone's input.- Stickman 207
Next

Return to 1940 and Older