Patiently waiting

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Patiently waiting

Things aren't moving as quick as I anticipated. I've got a lot of sheet metal to repair. The fenders are taking a lot of time but I'm finding more bondo covered problems. I do have the cab corners welded on and with a little bondo, they'll be ready to paint. I've got to sandblast the cab but I already know there are a few problems that will have to be repaired. Here are a few pictures.
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPG
cc21.JPG
cc9.JPG
cc5.JPG
cc1.JPG
cc4.JPG

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm

My plan was to replace cab corners with corners from a donner cab but this is what they looked like. I had to repair them before I could use them.
Attachments
cc9.JPG
cc12.JPG
cc11.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 pm

If you decide to sand-blast that sheet-metal cab, it is highly likely the metal will be destroyed. Sand opens the metal to oxidation and stopping the oxidation is nearly impossible. Ground walnut shells do not damage the metal.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:20 am

Nikki, I would rather Glass blast it but P/O put a skimmed layer of Bondo over the whole cab. I'll probably blast it with whatever will bring the Bondo off. Here are a few pictures of the lower sheet metal to show what I'm having to deal with.
Attachments
cc18.JPG
cc19.JPG
cc26.JPG
cc29.JPG
cc33.JPG
cc24.JPG
cc23.JPG
cc31.JPG

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:53 am

Couple more rust pictures.
Attachments
fr192.JPG
fr191.JPG
fr190.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:10 pm

I had my 1940 Ford metal cleaned with blasted walnut shell media. This media is gentle, but, will remove Bondo, easily. The walnut media removed the OEM tar like under-coating and some ridiculous paper material mixed with tar, most likely intended for sound insulation.
Sheetmetal is not able to deal with the sudden rise of surface temperature from being blasted with sand or glass beads. This causes the metal to distort and buckle. The aggressive nature of sand will open the surface of the sheetmetal and the metal will start to oxidize almost instantly. Glass bead blast is less aggressive.
My, now deceased, friend had his 1948 Ford sand blasted. A decade later the paint is bubbling from the oxidation, aka rust, that is growing under the paint. This '48 Ford is not repairable for any reasonable cost. Redi Strip may be the only option for this car or scraping it. https://www.redistripco.com/contact/
Rust never rests. If you cover rusted parts with replacement panels, the rust will continue to grow out of sight until it arrives at the surface. There is not short-cut to the best outcome.
Attachments
COWS I HERD THAT.jpg
I HERD THIS SOMEWHERE!
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to Large Trucks