Grille Retaining Studs

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Grille Retaining Studs

I read through several posts regarding the grill retaining clips for the primary grille trim. Does anyone know where I can get correct retaining studs for the 47-49 wings that attach between the grille and the fenders? I seem to remember finding them once before, but I cannot recall what they are called and am coming up empty handed this time. I broke a few when I disassembled my fenders and would really like to replace all of the ones that I have access to. This is what they look like.
Attachments
retaining-stud-p3299-286671_medium.jpg
retaining-stud-p3299-286671_medium.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 3804 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Grille Retaining Studs

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Thank you very much Nikkinutshop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Happy to help. Here is a big secret. SHHHH!!
The Big Three and the other lessor vehicle manufactures, like IHC, did not make many of the fasteners. https://www.auveco.com/ has been in the fastener business for a hundred + years. Fasteners is what they do. I bought a bunch of parts drawers for $100 because3 I needed to sort out my fasteners. The drawers were full of AUVECO bits and pieces. So I had to buy another set of parts drawers.
Old IHC did not make the door latch/lock mechanisms and the window regulators. The window regulators were made by a FORD company and the door latches were made by three different suppliers. I have examples of each.
Attachments
parts drawers 2.jpg
parts drawers 1.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Very cool. I love those bins, but almost never find a good deal on them. I need to rebuild my door latches since my passengers can't seem to figure out how to close the doors correctly. They work fine for me, but maybe the truck gets jealous when it has to share attention...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Trucks are inanimate and do not develop human behavior. I do not know how a person will rebuild the latches. I did build the left door latch lock mechanism pieces for a local. He has never paid me in over a decade. There is lots of that BS going around. I will post pictures of L&R latch assemblies. I do not know if they are similar to the "K".
Sometimes the worn pieces can be repaired with TIG welding metal to build up the damage. I would strongly advise against trying to make repairs with a MIG welder. If you have flux-core, forget about it, the extra heat will destroy anything you have.
On the "L&R" the "B" pillar door catch can be weld-built-up repaired. Some careful grinder shaping may be necessary.
CAUTION: Do not apply grease to the door latches. Some silicone dry spray or molybdenum dry lube on the contact points works best. Grease will retain dust and make a grinding compound. I have used and liked a fine layer of DOW CORNING #4 aka: DC4 as a contact point lube. This product is a silicone grease and not an RTV that will set up like rubber. A little on the contact points will be more than enough. The extra that runs off will not help and wastes product.
Attachments
door latches 8.jpg
door latches 5.jpg
door latches 4.jpg
door latches 3.jpg
door latches 1.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm