badging

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

badging

I own a '53 L-110 not a R-110. I am looking for the L-110 Series badge the goes right underneath International and located between and fender. I have one in place but the other one is broke. The zero and the word Series is completely missing. Looking any resource that may make "re-pop" these or might have in stock or someone who might have on in the parts bid no being used. Thanks in advance.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: badging

A block of metal and a computer-controlled mill could turn one of those out in minutes. Saw a demo of that sort of machine at the Street Rod Nationals, at the Haas Automation booth. I've always thought that if someone already had that $50,000 mill and knew CAD software enough to do the program, reproducing the emblems would be a breeze. With a few programming alterations and the "2" from the L-120 emblems, they could do custom L, R, and S 110, 111, 112, 120, 121, 122, 130, 131, and 132 emblems.

But I don't have the mill or the CAD skills.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:23 pm

3D printing is the most affordable for the home hobbyist. A more than good enough printer can be bought for a few hundred dollars. The best for the money is made in Canada.
A person can get the program they need on https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=LE ... f1b9cc2d1f I understand there is a forum with Thingiverse with lots of help.
On You Tube, Mister Pete 222 just got a 3D printer and Abomb79, also of You Tube fame just got one of the Canadian made units. https://youtu.be/4ot9bmFTqpA
https://revolution3dprinters.com/produc ... d-printer/
https://revolution3dprinters.com/
If a person must have a cast metal badge, this 3d printer can be used to make the pieces that are used to cast the parts. Mister Peter 222 has video on this.
If a person need to have a chrome finish, the plastic printed parts can be coated with a spray chrome at home, or sent out. Any new car with chrome parts are plastic base and a spray chrome finish.
I have made and will continue to make badges on my milling machine. I am stuck with the old school manual lay-out and manual machine. This is time consuming and not practical.
My daughter teaches this sort of thing and I have considered buying a MADE IN CANADA 3d printer for her. In exchange she can make some badges for me.
Attachments
Hubcap centre badge Ram to IH.jpg
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
EFI SUPERCHARGED.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm

3D printing them is easy if you have a 3d model and can create a .stl file. (mostly plactic parts...although metal printing is coming along) If you can make a parasolid file or step file of the model any CNC shop can make them.
If you know any young high school or college kids they may have access 3D software and printers for free. Many schools get equipment and software donated to them and kids need projects.

As Buzzman mentioned...can customize them as you wish. As nikki said, many ways to reproduce the emblems as originals are about extinct. Good Luck.
Attachments
IMG_3748.JPG
Photo2280.jpg
IMG_3750.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 pm

There is video of a guy making lost wax reproduction metal ones on YouTube

Looks like he made a handful of them, don't know if he made them to sell or not
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:40 pm

download/file.php?id=15428&mode=view
Those holes in the badges are unnecessarily large and take much of the good look away from the badge. A stainless socket head button in 4/40 would look much neater because a 4/40 is very small and not easily seen.
Attachments
BANKS IHC 2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to L, R and S