Group 2 and Grounding

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:26 am

Group 2 and Grounding

I've been doing some searches here as I am about to go battery shopping (6v) and one thing that has been mentioned in a number of posts is to go with a group 2 battery. Can some one school me on this, what does the group 2 designation mean? While I'm at it any suggestions on a good brand at a good price? Sources?

I will be going with fat cables but I question the suggested routing of the ground wire. On my truck the ground wire is very short and goes to a convenient bolt on the engine block right next to the battery tray. A 00 wire to the mounting bolt of the starter would be three times as long.
Is the massive engine block really that poor of a conductor compared to a long run of wire? I guess I'm looking more for an explanation than disputing the suggested grounding procedure.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 am

Re: Group 2 and Grounding

The Group 2 designation has to do with the size of the battery case. Larger cases generally have more capacity, as measured in cold-cranking amps [CCA].
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 am

I've always grounded to the block and have never had an issue. The only cable I run to the starter is the positive.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:49 am

Grounding to the block is probably fine, just make sure the bolts and mating surface between the starter and block are clean for good contact. I ended up making a star ground on the frame behind the battery with 00 cables to the starter and #4 (had it sitting around) to the cab. The reason I did that was because it was easier to route everything down the inner fender behind the battery.

The biggest help will be the heavy duty cables. Those giant cables tripled the speed of the starter compared to the #4 cables it had when I got the truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 am

I am running 6 volt, big cables, I run the positive to the lower starter bolt and it turns over like a 12 volt. I am running a Fleetfarm 1100 CCA series 4 tractor battery.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 am

kevin wrote:I am running 6 volt, big cables, I run the positive to the lower starter bolt and it turns over like a 12 volt. I am running a Fleetfarm 1100 CCA series 4 tractor battery.

Can't be, you must be lying, everybody knows these trucks had to sit in the driveway until 12 volts was "invented"! LOL. :t1809:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

That's a good one CB89, you posted that years back, I listened. Always had a problem hot but not since.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Group 2 battery,

00 cables, direct ground to starter, replace wimpy engine to frame strap, H6006 halogen 6 volt light bulbs,
No longer any real reason to switch to 12volt, unless you want to put in a DVD player to watch while you drive,

I know CB, don't fall out of your chair, I was hardcore 12v. conversion for a long time,

You helped me see the light,,,,literally with this H6006 bulbs
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S