1947 D50 International Van Fire Truck

Truck finds of all conditions OLD ADDS WILL BE REMOVED

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 pm

1947 D50 International Van Fire Truck

Just thought I'd submit a link to a van truck I've never seen before - a 1947 D50 International Fire Truck.
I don't know anything about this type of truck - does anyone know any general info they can pass along other than what I see in the ad?
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/intern ... -rare.html
Enjoy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:22 am

Re: 1947 D50 International Van Fire Truck

Although the sheet metal says “D” model, the year of mfg. says it should resemble a “KB” model. Obviously put together by someone who had spare D sheet metal. I personally don’t believe that the International Harvester Co. would have produced this truck. They would have wanted it to be representative of their current truck offerings and not have assumed no one would notice. Perhaps another company that specialized in fire truck manufacturing had the spare D parts lying around and in an effort to restart the company back to civilian production after the war could have produced this truck under IH license until the KB sheet metal became available to “aftermarket” companies. I can only speculate. IH was producing trucks for the war effort. It would seem logical that all of the D sheet metal in their factories would have long been utilized in some way for the war effort. After all, there was a severe shortage of materials as almost everyone was struggling to meet production demands for equipment for the war. Likewise it would seem that a company that produced fire trucks would have been doing so during the war and used up their supply of D sheet metal long before the war ended. It is well known that those first few years immediately after the war were transitional and any number of odd assemblies were showing up. This truck looks to be an example.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 am

A more likely possibility was it was made in the late 30's early 40's and used by the military and never titled until it was sold after the war. Since it was common practice in many states to assign year when 1st titled, that it was assigned late 40's.
A 40 D model then shipped to a firetruck outfitter could easily not been "finished" until late 42 depending on what was available, in terms of firetruck parts and by then the demand at air field and such would make the truck a likely conscripted item. By '47 the military was selling off everything war related and I can easliy see it being titled then.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 pm

nice but miss-dated, I'd gut all that fire apparatus and make it a monster panel truck
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to Diamonds in the Rough