Please Help ID This Dana Axle with its IH LST code

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 am

Please Help ID This Dana Axle with its IH LST code

Hi,
I recently acquired this Dana axle built for IH. I intend to install it in my '69 Loadstar 1700 after I go through it. But could someone please ID the axle assembly's code so I know what I have? I have no idea what Line set ticket code this axle is. And once that's established could someone please tell me what parts manual and service manual its in? I have not found it in the Loadstar / CargoStar's CTS-2300 or CTS-2307 ... unless I just don't know what I'm looking for - which is a possibility.

I'll provide more info this weekend if I can.
What I've been told so far, which I don't know if its true or not, is that the pumpkin assembly is a RA-30 and the axle assembly is a S-9000 probably made for a PayStar. But, if true, I still don't know how to convert any of this info into a IH code number so I can look up parts and/or find it in a service manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Every comment helps, so thank you all for your help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 12:53 am

Re: Please Help ID This Dana Axle with its IH LST code

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am

I find this guide helpful when trying to ID an axle:
https://wellertruck.com/wp-content/uplo ... g_2011.pdf

It does look like the RA 30 is the best match. You can use the pinion gear part number off the pinion to see if it matches any listed in the RA 30 section of the catalog. That casting number doesn't show up for some reason.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am

This might be more applicable then the lighter link Nikki posted, still not exact match.
http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/ ... e=original

Spicer made the housing and knuckle components, to fit an IHC designed diff, which was produced by Spicer.
All IHC heavy axles were designed "in house" but made by Spicer for IHC. It is why the RA472's and other rear axles IHC "made" became Spicer axles N400 for example. It all had to do with the Spicer/Eaton/Dana merger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Looked in my Fleetstar parts manual, and the front driving axle they used looked a lot heavier and used a Coleman style front hub. (powerdome)
The RA30 is a fairly light axle, so not sure what that axle came from. My later 9300 manual lists both a Rockwell and Fabco front driving axle, neither of which is what you have.
I'd say yours is from a S series medium truck or a very late Loadstar, as Paystar is a heavy truck, think cement mixer chassie.
Might also have come from something made for the military by IHC.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Thank you everyone for your help.
I was just told by someone that this axle is listed in the IH parts manual MT-502. Any suggestions where I can get a copy of this book?
Thanks.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am

If someone does not have one, probably Binderbooks will.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

lbesq wrote:If someone does not have one, probably Binderbooks will.

hi,
I tried Binder Books. They have been bought out by ihpartsamerica.com and they have not replied to my inquiry email of a few days ago. The web site did say they're transitioning everything over to the new owners so there will be delays.
Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Well, FWIW, the answer to my question is the following:

This is a NAPCO axle manufactured by Dana for IH. It's rated at 9000 lbs and tips the scales, with hubs and brakes attached but no wheels, at 1260 lbs.

I think Cornbinder89 got it right as it's referred to as a S-9000 because it was made for the S series of medium duty IH trucks of the early 80's and is rated at 9000 lbs. (In contrast a heavy duty Dana 70 as used in the IH Loadstars is rated at 6000 lbs.)

Although the pumpkin assembly seems to be interchangeable with a RA-30, the axle assembly is actually a FA-64 or FA-78 with a corresponding IH code of either 02064 or 02078. I have not been able to find any difference between the two in the IH parts books, other than possibly the brakes.
Most parts are still available either directly from Dana or from IH/Navistar at three times the price of the Dana equivalent parts.

I've found the parts breakdown in two different IH parts manuals (MT-140 and MT-145), and the servicing of the axle assembly is in two different IH shop manuals and at least 4 different DOD military service manuals.

BTW I have the military service manuals for this axle assembly and for my Rockwell transfer case and I've found the military service manuals to be far, far superior to the IH shop service manuals. If something is not clear in your IH shop repair manual you may want to try and find a military service manual that covers the same topic. They may cover the same things but are much more detailed in their procedures, pictures, torque specs, etc. and seem to be geared toward the person with little experience.

What I find interesting is that both the IH parts books and Dana tech support refer to this as a NAPCO axle. NAPCO was one of the original leaders in converting trucks to 4wd until the mid 50's when the big three manufacturers began offering their own factory 4wd systems. According to NAPCO's web site, they still offer parts support for military trucks and tanks, including the less common vehicles of WWII such as the M2/M3 Half-Tracks etc. http://www.napcointl.com/about.php
I have yet to contact them to find out if they offer parts support for this axle too.

I could go into a lot more details on this axle assembly, but not much point unless you're rebuilding one.

Thank you ibesq, nikkinutshop and especially cornbinder89 for your replies. Your comments and help is appreciated. Thank you, gentlemen.

Return to Loadstar