WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

My right arm and shoulder are very sore this evening. I didn't watch any "adult education videos" today. This leaves the only possible cause for the joint pain, several hours of pushing a SHOPVAC hose around the shop floor. I half filled two Rubber Made garbage cans with scrap. My first task, tomorrow morning, will be a trip to the city transfer station. I used to drop my scrap metal in the recycling bin of my employer. The company policy has changed for all employees, retired and working. I have about 200 pounds of scrap metal this time.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I was moving the STERLING grinder to a better working space. I noticed that the grinder tends to want to lift on the left first and this tips the grinder to the right a little. I would prefer to have the base lift evenly and not cause the top-heavy grinder to lean to the right. The hole in the lifting tab is about a 3/16" to far to the right. Moving the hole will be first on the list for tomorrow AM
I hope to complete the wiring on the Sterling and the KELLER hacksaw tomorrow. I have about 200 drillbits that need sharpening.
Attachments
STERLING BASE APPLE GREEN.jpg
STERLING MOBILE BASE 3.jpg
FLAT BELT PULLEY DRILLING.jpg
GOOD GRIND
STERLING MOBILE BASE 1.jpg
MOBILE BASE TAB NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO THE RIGHT 6MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 am

Looking good Nikkinutshop, i think i would just be drilling things for the sake of it if i had 200 drills :D Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 am

What I did yesterday in my shop was play around with some of the parts and pieces of the garage door I got from helping my wife’s cousin replace/upgrade his single car garage door. I mentioned about a month ago in this thread that I’d come up with an idea about repurposing garage door track, brackets and rollers into a light duty gantry crane to allow me to lift the hood off my L by myself. I ended up with new tracks because the new door fit just fine on the old tracks and there didn’t seem to be any reason to spend the time and energy replacing them. However, we did put the new rollers and associated brackets on the new door panels rendering the old stuff to me.
In the photo you can see the results of my prototyping and perhaps a little clearer idea where I’m headed with this project. I can put up to 4 rollers on set A and B to better distribute the weight. But that length will reduce the amount of travel the gantry will have left/right, but the jury is still out that I’m going to need a lot of travel for the intended purpose of this hoist anyway. The tracks sets A and B ride in will be mounted to the trusses of my shop and about 4 ft. apart. A frame connecting sets A and B will support the tracks for set C and allow perpendicular movement as indicated by the arrow. I will fabricate a small frame to mount to set C (square shown in tape) to hold some type of hoist.
Since the hood I’m lifting weighs less that the panels of the garage door, I don’t see any problem as long as I don’t get too carried away building heavy framework attached to the rollers.
As I make more progress, I’ll add some more photos.
Attachments
280284F3-CDFF-417D-80B4-B810F744671F.jpeg
Sets A and B will be tied together by framing and the tracks for set C. Set C will then be able to roll perpendicular to the movement of sets A and B.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm

What I see in your picture may be some distortion from the digital camera angle. Some of the wheels appear to be worn and do not sit straight on the shafts.
If I were building something like you describe and those shaft/wheel combinations were my only option, I would probably not use the hinges. I would drill cross holes into a piece of aluminium 1" by 1 1/2 * bar stock to fit the shafts. The bar stock is more than strong enough to carry the load/strain of a hood. In the middle of the bar stock, you could drill and tap a hole to accommodate a lifting eye.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lifting+ ... 20&bih=963
Do not forget to block the ends of the track so as to prevent the rollers from getting beyond the ends of the track. I one lifting eye looks like it may be too crowded, a second lift eye could be mounted.
New rollers are $2.50 each in many hardware stores, here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 pm

I went to the shop to start some wiring but I put tools away. There were nearly hundred tools left out. I take credit for about half of the mess. I wanted to get started on the wiring on two machines but this never got past the planning stage. I cannot say it is difficult to get good help. I have given up on getting any help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am

Hey Nikkinutshop, I feel your pain. That’s why I’m looking at building the lite gantry crane. Most of what I get done is solo. Can’t depend on having help at the time it’s needed. The only other person to enter my shop these days is my wife and only to access gardening tools. My shop stuff is my stuff and she keeps it that way. My closest offspring lives 3 hrs away, so he’s not likely to use my stuff and the other one moved a couple months ago to about 13 hrs away - even less likely now to use anything.
Regarding the crane. You’re right, the camera distorted the way the rollers look. They really are in pretty good shape after I cleaned them up with mineral spirits - after the photo was taken.
I think I have a good grasp on your suggestions and I’m going to incorporate them into my plan B. I always like to have backup plans in case plan A proves not to work. I’m going to give each of the hinges in the photo a couple of good tack welds on the underside to render them stationary. And I’ll probably purchase additional hinges for the rollers that don’t have one. Also, will continue mocking up the design on the floor before ever attaching anything up in the air.
Thank you for reviewing my design and I welcome comments from anyone as this concept takes shape. The more eyes that see what’s going on, the more likely it is to be successful.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm

I had my Honda Valkyrie Interstate for sale on Craigslist. Someone sent a motorcycle mechanic to check the bike out. The bike sold this morning for my asking price. There was an offer but I was firm and not tempted.
This is a difficult change in my life. I have been riding since 1961 and I am fortunate to have survived 57 years of riding. I fear that I do not have reaction time needed to survive in this area of heavy traffic and new drivers. I have sellers remorse but I feel little better when I look at the balance in my savings account.
I wonder it there are any good deals on Old IHC trucks on Craigslist.
:m03104:
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Brian, I should follow your lead, and put my Goldwing up for sale, but can't bring myself too. I live in a different traffic situation than you but still, I haven't been on a ride in so long I'm not sure I could miss it, but...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

My friend has a 30 year old GW. Last time we were having coffee, he offered to give the bike to me. The GW has been sitting, unused, in his carport for nearly 20 years. This "free" motorcycle will need everything to make it run and ride safely. I may take the bike and sell it to a local shop that parts them out. The older 4 cylinder GW are not worth very much, here.
I got my son to give me a hand with locating s bunch of Honda spare pieces and gather them in one place.
We jacked the Ford up and put it on rolling axle stands. This makes the Ford easy to move and make more wiggle-room when we take the Honda outside.
The motorcycle lift will be used to raise the Honda to the height of an F350 box and the bike will be rolled into the F truck.
I was doing a few light duty things in the shop, today, and I had mixed feeling about selling the bike.
Attachments
rolling axle stand 2.jpg
rolling axle stand.jpg
VALKYRIE ON THE LIFT FOR FUSL LEAK.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion