steering box adjustment

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 am

steering box adjustment

1948 KBS-6 ,was lucky enough to get a steering box from a truck that was wrecked off the road at 30 k . now getting a little play in the steering after about 5 k miles . when I originaly set it in the truck I had it apart ,cleaned it up and checked it to the book and it was OK . Have had it well lubed via the grease fitting on top of it . As a quick check I adjusted the screw on the side and it took out the slop ,but it steers a little to tight . In what I remember there is a tight spot to be expected at top dead center , that helps the driver on the highway , but the tightness I have is a little more than that . I am going to back it out a little , and in till it just stops turning easy , I think that when I tightened the nut it took it in a little bit . I remember that in the book it says to check the shims always before adjusting the screw , and am going to the barn this morning before work to look it up .
Any one have any experience on this that will help before I get into it ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Re: steering box adjustment

Was under the truck tonight and more was revealed . Seems as the shim [that pitches the front leaf spring a little forward I think ] has worked itself out . I had tightened up the U-bolts a few times as perscribed here , but haden't thought much about them since . Was wondering if there was anyone out there that may have one or knows the dimmension of one .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:15 am

Re: steering box adjustment

I believe they are same on both sides
So you should have a sample one to look at
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB