Overheating Help?

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

Re: Overheating Help?

Nikki, that is exactly what the radiator tech said, you were on borrowed time anyway with that radiator. He also said the condition of the radiator may have also contributed to my problem.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm

I would say your old radiator contributed 100% to your overheating situation. I had a custom four row radiator built for my R120. This radiator was taller and sider than the OEM and I had to build a custom mounting frame to isolate the radiator from the truck body, like IHC did. This radiator was dwell over $1000 in 1991. The R120 had a 6.9 Diesel with an automatic transmission and extra cooling was mandatory. I still had some cooling problems. The fix was as simple as moving the air-conditioning condensor away from the radiator. Airflow was improved and the big Diesel ran cool.
Installing the 6.9 was a really big deal. There were lots of firewall and inner fender modifications necessary for the fit-up. While the final installation ran well and looked awesome I would never do that engine swap again. The engine was close to 1200 pounds and 37 inches wide. I used a frame substructure to support toe original frame and that was only the start of the parade of modifications. Anyone who says, " Just throw an engine in the hole", is courting disappointment and frustration.
What little engineering Old IHC put into their vintage trucks, it was good engineering and but did not allow for big changes that came with a re-power.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Unless you have already spent for the re-core and are bent on an original radiator, look at the aluminum ones on ebay, about $250 or so if I remember right. Just a thought

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 pm

I like the copper and brass radiators. They are proven to be better when we see them failing at 70 plus years of service. What ever radiator a person choses, it is important to use the IHC frame to isolate the radiator from any stress. A person should never install crusty old radiator hoses to an aluminium radiator. The water necks will be broken off because the hose is not pliable. Aluminum radiators are much more susceptible to corrosion damage from dissimilar metals in the cooling system. The engine block should be as clean as is possible and an antifreeze coolant that does not promote corrosion because it has electrolytic tendencies.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 am

Update: I installed a new water pump and belt on the 292 last night while I had it apart. I went with the recore as the local guy was able to turn it around in 4 days, in time for the maiden show on Saturday, without doing a lot of retrofitting. I will use my new 2,400 cfm fan which has multiple mounting options. I modified 5/16 bolts to fit in the fan housing pockets and will use 1 inch angle to fab it to the grill assembly, directly against the radiator. It will have to be a pusher due to the space constraints between the radiator and the engine. I can also run a higher pressure with the new core. I'll let everyone know how it worked next week.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Here are a few pictures of the tight radiator to engine situation I had to deal with. One picture shows a BMW/Mercedes auxiliary fan for the AC condensor and intercooler.
I included two pictures of an oil cooler with a BMW fan mounted on the cooler. My R1210 used this cooler for the automatic C6. I chose this option instead of using the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator.
Attachments
ATF oil cooler.jpg
oil cooler
ATF oil cooler 2.jpg
oil cooler 2
intercooler~fan condensor ahead of the rad.jpg
intercooler fan
RADIATOR CLOSE TO ENGINE.jpg
close enough

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks to everyone. I installed the re-cored radiator and the high cfm fan and went ahead and replaced the water pump while I had it out. It seems to run about 160 and has not been over heating even on a hot day pulling a hill. She was a big hit at the car show.
Attachments
48 KB-7.JPG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Good Deal! Looks good!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Looking good! I'm sure it feels good to get past that hurdle.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Previous

Return to K and KB