Cummins air compressor

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Cummins air compressor

It is at time like this when a project's completion is at the mercy of others. I wish you the best outcome.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:20 am

My boss is overbooked and keeps asking when I'll be ready, my back is killing me and I can only sleep in 1hr segments. I haven't "worked" for 2 weeks! I need to get it done so I can ease up on my back, get a good nights sleep and make a paycheck!
It will be nice to have an engine with every gasket and seal replaced and new "internals", for once. Also got a new clutch.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:17 am

Good rebuilt engine is great, but, Take care of your health, that goes, the engine does you no good. Take care please.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:18 pm

When I got the oil changed today I had them drain the rear diff as well, the front diff oil was changed when I rebuilt the front diff a few years back.
Anyway, they found some metal in the bottom of the housing, big enough not to fit through the drain hole. From the sound of it, it was a thrust washer, so looks like I'll be pulling the rear diff and cracking it in half to replace the spider, spider gears, side gears and thrust washers. The fun never stops.!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

I was able to locate a "kit" with all the "wearable" parts and it is on its way. I also located a used center section so if mine is beyond reasonable repair I can put the kit in the used "exchange" unit. I hope I can get my center out tomorrow and see what I'm dealing with.
Sometime in the early to mid 80's Rockwell change from 3.70 gearing to 3.73 gearing so any used unit I can use has to be 33 years old or older.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Some pic's of the wear. Hard to see in pictures but the gears have all worn to the point they are thru the hard surface.
Attachments
diff parts2.JPG
Cross
diff parts1.JPG
Diff parts 3.JPG
Spider gears

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Sad to say the cabover that is the subject of this thread may be finished. Weds morning in Montana, a car that was on the right shoulder of the road, decided to do a U turn right in front of me. I dove for the left shoulder so not to T bone the car in the drivers door and kill both occupants. While I couldn't avoid the hit, I could keep it a glancing blow to both vehicles. I was only doing about 40-45 mph when the hit happened, but it was a bad one, pushed the bumper into the steer tire, and hit the springs so hard it cracked the bracket that holds the bottoming pad with the U bolt. It must have pushed the axle sideways a fair bit because it broke off one of hyd lines for the cab tilt from the tilt cyl. The SUV continued down the side of the trailer ripping off 4 of my tie downs, fortunately I put on more than the required minimum and the load stayed put. Hit the tire on the front trailer axle so hard it deformed the rim and the bead lost its seal.
The good news is we all walked away from it, how the occupants of the SUV did, I'll never know? They didn't even need to go to hospital!
The hit was so bad, I still don't know the make or model of the SUV.
After all the paperwork and the law was done, the tow truck for the SUV pulled my bumper clear of the tire. I took my bottle jack and jacked the trailer rim back to some short of roundish shape enough to hold air somewhat. This was no small task, as the trailer has Aluminum rims which are more prone to cracking than bending. I had 37 miles to the next town and help, and has over 51,000 lbs of lumber on the deck. With axle loading that high, a single tire wouldn't support it.
My boss knew someone in the small town of Belle Fourche, SD who also had a small trucking company, he called and said "bring it to my shop", and when I got their, he gave me his pick-up truck and called the testing site he uses, so I could get a post accident drug and alcohol test to cover my butt. He didn't know me from Adam, but was of the old school, where truckers help eachother. When he got back from running another load of gravel, we pulled it inside and he pulled a brand new aluminum rim out of a storage trailer and we changed it out. The tire survived, surprisingly. Then he sent me on my way, with just a handshake and a promise that Jim will send him a check!
It was a good reminder that with all the scammers and bad people, there are still good people out there, of the old school who will help a fellow in need.
I drove the rest of the way to Iowa, delivered the load and am home. The steering wheel doesn't line up right when driving straight, so somethings out of wack, but I didn't notice any bad tire wear in the 700-1000 miles.
The cab sheetmetal has been torn, and the sub-frame of the cab has some damage, all fixable in theory, but not economical.
I think I'll invest in a used headlight bucket, and I have the steps and grab bars from another truck, so for a little more than $100 I can get the truck legal, although looking bad. I'll pull whats left of the bumper and carefully inspect the frame and springs for damage, to know that it would be safe, than park it and drive one of my other trucks. If the frame or axle is damaged, I'll pull it apart for its good parts and scrap the rest.
All in all not one of my better weeks, but at least all involved will make it home.
I have put 270,000 miles on it the years that I've owned it, I thought it would be more, but have been switching back and forth between trucks for a while. It has only been in the past few years that I have been driving it steady.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 am

Sir, Glad that all are OK. Sad to hear that the Truck took a beating, but you do know that if it had been a newer truck, it might not have been able to even drive away, as yours did. It does the heart good to hear of the other "old school" folks that are still out there. Be safe, Stay active, and Retirement LOOKS good on some days!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:46 am

lbesq wrote:Retirement LOOKS good on some days!

I haven't found a day it DOESN"T look good! just haven't figured out how to swing it yet!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I am glad that both Sandy and Myself were able to retire at 62, We are looking to downsize and sell the house and everything in it. When that happens, probably by end of summer, we will be totally debt free. I hope to have at least another 10 years of "seeing" the country before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks