front drum

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 am

front drum

welcome, did some of you had to balance the front drum, and how did you done that, mine are very unbalanced, and wheels are very difficult to balance. thank's
ps: i have a young girl kb-3 de 48

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:23 am

Re: front drum

Others may have more information. Are you sure that it is your drum that causes the "unbalance"? Is your drum slightly out of round? How are you balancing your tires/wheels? As much information as possible, might help others to also answer your question. Is there any indication that a "counter weight" might have been spot welded to the outside rim of the drum and has come off?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 am

Knife edge balance, like used for motor cycle wheels and aircraft props, would work but you can get close by removeing the seal, cleaning the bearings and lightly oiling, and installing the hub on the spindle with 0 pre load, mark the drum at the top and spin the hub, if it always stops at the same point, the low point is the heavy spot.
It will take trial and error to get the weight right.
You could take the whole shooting match to a machine balancer, but it is not cheap. Did it once and they found my assemble out by a 1/2 lb. This was on 20" spoke wheels, he said the hub itself was fairly well balanced but the drum as cast was way out.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:20 am

Are the drums nice and round or maybe they are bent?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 am

welcome, i did not chek for weight on drum, tire and wheels are balanced on rotation balancer and are whell balancing not very well, but for drum, when are place it on a certain place, the drum turn free, i install a wheel nut on a stud, and the result is the same, i do again with 2 wheel nut and it turn again but very slowly, i will chek for welding weight et thank's for info.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am

excuse i forget to say, drums are like new no bend no rust i did paint thems with powder coat, realy they arre like new

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Can you post a picture of this? I think maybe we are missing something in the translation, Grospetit.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 am

thand's to all of you.. i did a balancing on truck, and add a 5 oz of dyna bead in tube tire, now more smooth on driving and less vibrations. thand's again.

Return to K and KB