1938 D35 Fan Needed

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 pm

1938 D35 Fan Needed

I have a 1938 D35 that had the fan go into the radiator and mangled the fan to the point of no repair. The engine I believe is an FAB-241. If anyone out there has a fan for this engine that they are willing to part with at a fair price I would greatly appreciate it. I know that the KB6 trucks had an FAC-241 engine but not sure if the fans are the same for both engines. If anyone can confirm if the fans are the same that would be greatly appreciated as it would widen my search criteria.

Thank you very much.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Re: 1938 D35 Fan Needed

I know this probably is not the one your looking for. But you can send a message to them. I have had good luck finding some hard to find items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/34-35-36-INTER ... SwNEBa-2I4

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will need to go home and check. There is another one listed that looks more like the one I have I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131940200230

I would like to find a nicer one though.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 30, 2018 9:09 pm

I think any fan of the FAx, BLD or BD 282 or 308 should work. The 1st ebay posting if for a HD or GRD and will not work, the 2nd looks too rough to be useable. The one spare I have was damaged when whoever pull the engine wasn't watching the fan.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank for the info on the compatibility. I have the ability to buy an entire KB6 with FAC241 for $400. Motor is free and complete. Might be worth it for the fan and spare parts. I do not need another project but hate to see it go for scrap. It has a 2 speed rear end. Thought about trying to make that work on the D35. May be more work than it would be worth.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 pm

I was going to say you should stop in some time and say howdy. But Geez, your almost a Canadian. We have a full length stretch of I-5 between us. I know all about to many projects. I just need to be able to finish (they are never finished) one before actually collecting and starting another once in awhile. Thank God for an understanding wife. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 pm

hattrick4467 wrote:Thank for the info on the compatibility. I have the ability to buy an entire KB6 with FAC241 for $400. Motor is free and complete. Might be worth it for the fan and spare parts. I do not need another project but hate to see it go for scrap. It has a 2 speed rear end. Thought about trying to make that work on the D35. May be more work than it would be worth.

Must be an early K-6 (not KB, '46 and later) to have the FAC, most would have the BLD 250 or 269. The two speed would be easy to fit and have operational.
Easy to tell an FAx vs BLD. The FAx series is wetliner and has no core plugs, the BLD is dry liner and does have core plugs.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 pm

I will need to go take a closer look at the k6/kb6. I cannot say that I know for sure what it is. I am not familiar with the engine options. I know that some of the stuff on the web seems to contradict itself but you guys are the experts. If it is not obvious I will take some pictures so you guys can take a look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm

IHC designed both the medium six and the large six back in the late 20's early 30's Originally, the lightest trucks used vendor supplied engines, then IHC bought the rights to Willys inline 6 which became the GRD flathead.
The medium six started out as a weliner engine with a gear driven generator and the distributor on the back or a gear driven mag. Over the years the engine was updated, engineering changes were made, but the same basic design was kept from the begining to the end in the late 60's for the medium six or early 70's for the large six.
Most all externals will bolt on to any engine in the family from the earliest to the last. Some things like the manifold and heads, got bigger ports and valves as the displacement increased and are not backwards compatible, or may have fitment problems, but water pumps, fan and most other externals will interchange
When a major engineering change was made, the name of the engine was updated.
The FAx were all wetliner, they started out with gear driven generators that were common in the 20's, and were updated as the engine aged, with separate distributor mounted high over the valve cover on the later FAx
The engine was changed to dry liners and renamed the BLD
In the 50's the engine was updated again this time with parent bore (no liners) and full flow oil filter, biggest displacement and was renamed the BD (black diamond), to make things more confusing, IHC also called the remade Silver Diamond small six a Black Diamond also, although these two engine line have nothing in common except that they were both designed by IHC in house.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Awesome bunch of information. Great post. I just bought a 1929 six speed special that I have not yet received. It looks like I will be hunting for parts. Should be fun.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older