WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Nikkinutshop: Since you are an officianado of all things tool and toolbox, I have a treat for you. A friend sent me an email that linked to a YouTube video, but, since I’m on my cell phone for this entry, I couldn’t figure out how to make the link show up here. Anyway, if you’ll pull up YouTube and do a search for Alpine Drums, specifically:

BR | ALPINE DRUMS - Blechlawine

I found it to be entertaining since I was a drummer in my high school days, but I think you’ll be impressed for other reasons.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks WEW. I'm out and about with my BlackBerry today. I will find and watch your suggestion when I get home. Last month, I burned through 8GB with my BlackBerry. I'm cutting back.
I drove an 876 kilometers round trip to look at and possibly buy a STERLING drill bit grinder, then asked for time to think about it. I am likely going back to buy the machine.
Sterling have an interesting history in American industry. If a person is interested ,the Sterling website tells the story. There are some good video links.
I'm going to get the front tires on my Ram 2500 re-balanced today. The vibration is just a little thing at 105 kmh but I don't like it.
Our weather is in the high 20s Celsius . I stopped to visit one of this forum members in Merritt, BC. A significant portion of Merritt is suffering flood conditions and evacuated to higher ground.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

I am Impressed.

The beer looks good, and the Fraulein are a wonderful addition to the video.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I committed to buy the used STERLING drill grinder. I will most likely go and pick it up in the next day of so.
Here is the company web0site. http://www.sterlingdrillgrinder.com/
The STERLING is a high quality precision machine. It is totally built in The USA and made to last. The basic design with a few improvements is 123 years old and preforms as well as or better than the best.
I called the OE manufacturer to inquire about parts availability. Everything on my list of must haves, for a good restoration, are available, and the prices are very reasonable.
I would not say no to a good deal on another Sterling or Lisle. bit grinder.
Attachments
sterling drill bit grinder.jpg
STERLING BIT SHARPENER

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Growing up here in SW MI, I was surrounded by many first-generation immigrants from the Vkolinya region of Germany/Poland/Russia, most of whom came here and became employed in the tool and die trades. Probably a hundred shops in a three county area in the 60s and 70s. Of course, all these craftsmen needed tools and supplies, including some people who did not sharpen their own drill bits. The father of close friend through my grade school years saw that opportunity and started a drill bit sharpening business from his basement. I'm quite certain he had a full Sterling set up, from the color of your unit. I remember on sleepover nights his dad camped out at the sharpener machine while we all watched TV on the basement set. Thanks for stirring up a good memory.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 pm

I had a mostly uneventful 732 kilometer drive to Savona and back to the coast today. After paying for and loading the Sterling grinder, I filled the Dodge with Diesel and turned toward home. The speed limit is 120km on the Coquahalla and the distance melted away. I am very pleased to have this machine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Speaking of tool boxes, this might bring a smile to some of you. In the usual frenzy of activity at this time of year putting in the crop, somehow I managed to drive over my tool box with the IH Loadstar. Luckily just the outside dual caught one end and flattened it pretty good. Oh well, it gave me something to do on our first rainy day of the year. Got some practice using my nephew's "Mac tools" metal shaping hammers and dolly. It opens and closes and looks half decent (at a distance) now. Worst of it is that this is the second time I've driven over that tool box. :t1812:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:39 am

At least you can still use it!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 am

I was running my 4000 pound Ruston Hornsby Diesel elevator engine when there was a sudden burst of sparks. My favorite Craftsman toolbox had come into contact with one of the flywheels. The toolbox has a permanent grinder mark.I used to roll old tennis balls under one of the Ruston flywheels while the engine was running around 200 rpm. The flywheels are about 54 inches in diameter and an inch off the floor. The tennis balls were fired quite a distance.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Sounds like the crazy nut Navy game, small compartment, large nut on a screwdriver, open the air valve and get the nut spinning, then let 'er fly- better duck!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion