How hard are 1948 KB-2's to find parts for?

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 08, 2018 2:27 pm

How hard are 1948 KB-2's to find parts for?

I found a 1948 KB-2 International for sale online and I think I may buy it. How hard is to find parts for these trucks? Are they very restorable?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Re: How hard are 1948 KB-2's to find parts for?

It can be safely said, "There are no new parts." The answer to your next question is probably. This depends on what level of skill you have, how much patience you have and how much cash you are willing to part with.
If there area any used parts, the parts will be as old and worn as the parts you have to replace.
These old trucks respond well to upgrading the drive-train. It is unlikely most of the "restorers" will ever do the kind of restoration that will get their truck an invite to Pebble Beach or front row in a museum. So, for the rest of us making the truck dependable and reliable should be the first goal.
Do not get tricked into flopping the sheetmetal onto a different frame and running gear. This is not easier and often turns another old IHC into a failed project and scrap.
I prefer a Diesel re-power and 4X4 upgrade. Cummins offer a turbo Diesel plug and play crate turbo engines in their isf series. The engines are 2.8 and 3.8 liter and come complete and ready to run. The Cummins 4bta can still be found but they are increasingly difficult to find. The Cummins 6bta like the Ram trucks is a great engine, but too big and too heavy for your application. I have both the 4 and the 6 here in my shop.
Forums like this and Google will become your best source for rare sheetmetal. There is no easy fix.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed May 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Well I am new to restoration. I bought a 1950 international last year and since I bought it I got it running. I love how the 1948 Kb-2 International's look so I would love to have one to restore.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Buy it! You won't regret it! And show us pictures, too.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Ok thank you!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 pm

EmanM18 wrote:I found a 1948 KB-2 International for sale online and I think I may buy it. How hard is to find parts for these trucks? Are they very restorable?

If you want something that is different than you would normally see, this is a good choice. Good looking trucks and simple mechanics. No aftermarket sheet metal is available so make sure there is no rust or little rust to deal with. If the fenders are rusted out and need metal repair or replaced, it will take a high skill level or quite a lot of money to find good ones. Shipping is high for large parts even if you do find good used ones.
Mechanics are simple and you can always find what you need, but might have to search for a while. Some Ford and other mfg's parts will interchange.
Prices are on the rise for these trucks due to scarcity and public awareness.
Good luck if you decide to take the leap...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 10, 2018 2:46 pm

There are plenty of parts out there. You'll find whatever you need. I was fortunate to come across a complete K2 parts truck for $250 and I did not even need any parts. Only thing i used off it was the vintage tool box and the interior light it contained.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 13, 2018 5:47 am

Could I use some sheet metal from that parts truck? Oli did not see the guy who spoke before you's posr. I bought the truck, but it does have quite a bit of rust. I just didn't want to pass it up because it is mostly complete.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 13, 2018 5:48 am

It will be delivered today so I will post some pictures later.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 13, 2018 11:51 am

EmanM18, If you have some proficiency in welding, you can also patch panel some spots that are rusted out. Just a thought. Lots of videos on you tube.
Next

Return to K and KB