My '89 9670 build

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 am

Re: My '89 9670 build

Yeah, you can go deeper, but lifetime suffers if you do. It is why I run such big amp/hrs. I forget a what point the low voltage alarm on my inverter or when the Espar shuts off, but both are suppose to be high enough to crank an engine if running on the trucks starter batteries.
I think once or twice I've gone below 50% when sitting for more than the night, running heat and computer.
The real problem is automotive regulators aren't set right to fully recharge a deep cycle bank. They'll get the job done eventually, but it doesn't happen in my case between dis-charges. I am in the process of changing to a "marine" multi stage reg, that boost the charge voltage to 14.6- 14.8, for a period than drops to 13.8- 14.2 , then finishes at a float of 13.2
In cold weather I set my fixed voltage reg to 14.6 and it did a good job of charging in less than 10 hrs, but I found as the weather warmed it was too high and after the current dropped to its lowest point (around 5 amps) it would start to climb back up and water usage increased, both indicating it was over charging.
I have close to $700 in that battery pack alone, so it pays to take care of them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 am

This is very true. Like I said, most of this I knew in depth many years ago. One thing that the Solar guys keep pushing others to go to, is the Lithium batteries, you can discharge them much lower and have no real effect. Problem being, one they are pretty much a "storage" battery and only have, on the average, 100 amp hour. They are much lighter, and for a Travel trailer or any RV for that matter, Weight is a concern. They also are close to $1000 each. For me, I think I can justify the extra weight of four 6 volt,(AGM) wired properly to give me around 380 usable amp hours at around 280 lbs weight. I do not anticipate being "off grid" all that often. But want the ability to do so for at least a couple of low usage/ non air conditioned days. I will also be carrying a, hopefully, inverter generator. My hope is that Solar and Lithium or similar style batteries come down in price. Weight for me is the main issue on the Trailer.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:01 pm

What is this?
Attachments
unusual truck.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 am

Where the heck did that came from? My Marmon with a load of snow plows from Henderson, but don't recognize the location?
From the little I can see of the plow hitch in on the rear, I'd say they were destined for Colorado DOT, which would make the location Nebraska or Kansas by the backround.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 05, 2018 6:26 pm

I've got some forced down time. The owner and dispatcher of the company I'm leased too is in Europe for a week or so.
Now I know if there are no pictures, it never happened, and I hope to get some soon.
Back when the '89 9670 was my only truck, it did a lot of quick and dirty repairs, like replacing the fuel line and zip tieing to the old line.
I am getting around to doing it right. When I installed the air starter, I had a APU between the frame rails over the transmission, This ment the -20 hose to the motor had to routed outside the frame rails, it was never pretty but got the job done. Now I don't run an APU so want to route it inside the frame rails. The old hose has just about had it any way. Trying to pull the old hose out is like wrestling with a 10' Anaconda in rectus. At over $10/ft I want to keep the run as short as possible.
When I put a fuel heater in, It was out of necessity, and I didn't have time to run new fuel lines. This ment that I had to install it "backwards", in the fuel passed thru the tubes and coolant went over the tubes, This reduces the heat transfer by about 60%. I ran new fuel line, and re-routed so the fuel goes over the tube bundle and the coolant thru the tubes.
Next I made a tensioner for the A/C compressor belt. I used a Spartan RV alternator tension arm I got off the .net.
Next in line is to repair the cold air intake tube (had been damaged, will require fiberglass repair). and finish the air cleaner install.
I sent in the 2290 tax form on it, and when I get the paperwork back from the IRS I can plate it. Been over ten years since it was last on the road.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Friday, I stripped down a spare door and gathered a few other body parts and got them into the body shop to have them sanded and re-painted the correct livery. The passenger door never worked right since I owned the truck and after looking carefully at it, found it had been damaged at some point before I owned it. Rather than try and fix it I am going to replace with one from a parts truck.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Look forward to pictures when you get them up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Some Pic's, not a 1/2" of clearance anywhere around the air intake, It had to go around the crossover tube from the turbo to aftercooler. It all clears when the cab is down, but just!.
I replaced the thermostat on the AD-4 air drier. It is the original one that came on this truck. Although I have tried other through the years, I come back to the AD-4 as being the best, although not the easyest to service.
The A/C compressor belt tensioner is similar to the OEM but a bit stronger, being it was originally for an alternator.
NAPA ran out of the big hose clamps I need to finish the air intake, but should have more soon.
Attachments
Air drier.jpg
Air start line.jpg
Air line from air start tank to motor
Cold air 2.jpg
AC tension.jpg
Cold air intake.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Shunt.jpg
The thing on the side of the battery box that looks like a fuse holder with a copper bar is the shunt.
89 oil pressure.JPG
100-0-100 remote shunt ammeter
Got the rest of the band clamps for the air intake on and wired up the remote ammeter.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Attention to the details that will make that a good working truck.
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks