WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

I need a few clear days in a row so we can pull some of the hundreds of IHC pieces out of the 18/22 Wells Cargo trailer and take inventory.
On to the basement, there is enough sheetmetal to assemble one rust free cab in there. there must be a dozen inner fender aprons and five "L"& "R" hoods and more "L" doors. Without looking very hard, I found three under-dash hand brake handles complete with cables. There are hundreds of IHC trinkets and trash.
The Wells was loaded in 2005 and I have forgotten most of the IHC stuff that was put in there. I know for sure there is enough sheetmetal to build two complete trucks with one 6 foot box and one 8 foot box plus the Orrville Crewcab.
The Wells has one Ford Flathead V8 for sure and possibly a second. Some of the stuff in the Wells Cargo is an NOS "L" grill and an NOS tailgate. I did count the early "L" doors and there are 19 left. One door will be stripped for parts before it goes for scrap. This will leave me with 18 good rust free doors. I need three left and three right doors plus one spare door for each side. My friend Bernie, in Alberta, has first refusal on anything that might come up for sale.
On todays agenda, is to check the air pressure in the Wells Cargo tires. I may do a trailer shuffle this next week. I would rather service the Wells on the concrete carport instead of the grass. What I really need is an acreage with a barn.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Just keep in mind that most trailer tires will age out well before they wear out. I know you use for storage, but keep in mind, if you pull any distance at all.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 pm

I am going to continue to reduce the mount of stuff that I have collected in 40 years. I have more than 1000 wrenches including some 50-70 year old Canadian sets. I will likely sell my Dad's 1938 set of sockets and ratchet drivers.
I have a few old IHC/McCormick Deering wrenches. One of the old IHC wrenches looks like a Christmas tree and may fit 8 applications.
On the back of one of the shelves I found a new Walker Turner bandsaw blade welder. I wonder what that is worth?
My Troy Built rototiller is going to a community farming school in the morning. This school teaches gardening skills to persons who have never experienced farming.
I may be selling my two lathes and then replacing them with a lathe sized between my South Bend 16-120 and a Myford Super 7.
Big changes coming around here.
Attachments
SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg
myford2.jpg
DURABLE 5.jpg
DURABLE 2.jpg
DURABLE 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Here is a little information that might be a caution to someone buying anything. Be careful and keep your receipts. This is more history because this happened in about 2000. Every time I open this toolbox I am reminded of the complications that came with it. I hope this might help any person who happens to read this.

In 2000 I bought a MAC TECH 1000 off the MAC tool truck. In four years the upper section of the box had cracked at the base of the divider between the wide and narrow drawers, of the top section.
At about a year, I had to buy and install better wheels with real greaseable bearings. My employer's shop has a smooth concrete floor.
Here is the real kick in my a$$. The MAC truck guy opened an account without my knowing about it and applied my toolbox to the account.. I paid for the toolbox with my cheque and kept the receipt. It did not take long for the tool company to try and collect money from me for the toolbox on the account. I tried to get this matter settled on my own and in the end my bank came to my defence and the problem was settled after months of unnecessary stress.
I still have and buy MAC. I always pay with my MASTERCARD, now.
I was told the tool truck guy had done this scam to a few persons. He left Canada, and a trail of unpaid bills.
Now that I am retired, the TECH 1000 sits in one place in my home shop. Well, I did move the MAC box two days ago and the $65 each casters still work just fine.
The crack in the upper box has become a little wider.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 am

nikkinutshop wrote:I am going to continue to reduce the mount of stuff that I have collected in 40 years. I have more than 1000 wrenches including some 50-70 year old Canadian sets. I will likely sell my Dad's 1938 set of sockets and ratchet drivers.
I have a few old IHC/McCormick Deering wrenches. One of the old IHC wrenches looks like a Christmas tree and may fit 8 applications.
On the back of one of the shelves I found a new Walker Turner bandsaw blade welder. I wonder what that is worth?
My Troy Built rototiller is going to a community farming school in the morning. This school teaches gardening skills to persons who have never experienced farming.
I may be selling my two lathes and then replacing them with a lathe sized between my South Bend 16-120 and a Myford Super 7.
Big changes coming around here.

Bandsaw blade welder you need to find a specific buyer. I get my bandsaw blades custom made at local saw shop, they are only $20 and the blade is high quality. Shop has spools of various blades

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 am

I buy LENOX bimetal for my Rockwell Delta bandsaw and horizontal bandsaw. I pay $46 plus the tax.
After I bought the WT blade welder, I did some calculations on the cost of making my own. The cost of DIY was about the same as buying complete blades. I kept the WT blade welder to repair a saw blade that I might break. I have not had a broken blade, yet.
I bought a Walker Turner band saw blade and before I got my Delta Rockwell 14.
I have posted the Walker Turner on Craigslist twice in as many years. All I got was problem people.
I may try posting again in the near future. The WT is about 50 years old and may qualify as NOS.
Attachments
WALKER TURNER BLADE WELDER.jpg
Walker Turner Bandsaw blade welder 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Nikkinutshop, I don't know how you collect so many tools. I would love to have the room to keep them all. Your workshop must be amazing. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I like my shop and I like the stuff I have collected. I had to lose 200# so I could make my way around the shop.
You should ask ibesq what he thinks about the shop. lbesq has been here.
My wife has taken inventory and she has the contents insured for $150k.
that was three years ago and it may be time to rethink the insurance. I have a monitored alarm with CCTV.
The situation I have is, I only buy things I like on CL and might make a few bucks after some TLC. All too many times I have trouble selling the whats-it. Maybe, if I spend less time on the TLC I might not grow attached to the "junk".
How do I manage to collect so many tools? It took a lifetime. Thousands of garage sales and leaving my name and number at second-hand stores and slowly getting a reputation. I got called to give a price for the collection of a deceased father/machinist. I don't now why they called me because they had some firm prices on everything. I asked for a package deal on the entire shop. The substance abusing sons gave me a price that almost made me feel guilty.. I accepted their offer, which was less than half of what I was going to offer and then I got the dope heads to load my truck. I gave the brothers a couple of free coffee cards for McD's
One of my favorite pieces from that event is a beautiful Peg Leg alarm clock. The clock has been restored and it works perfectly.
Drafting tables started to collect here. My son selected one he likes, I saved one unusual folding drafting table and a few drafting machines. The rarest is a Franz Kuhlmann form Germany. I still have my large HAMILTON drafting table. I bought the Hamilton in the early 1960s, while I was in trade school.
I recently got two KENNEDY Machinist tool boxes in one day. The average cost worked out to $45 each. I am going to sell one and keep the other for drafting instruments, maybe. Both boxes are made in Canada by Beach but the livery is different.
Enough of the BS.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 pm

I am actively looking for a LISLE 91000- drill bit grinder sharpener. I missed a really good unit in IDAHO this last week. I have a WANTED advertisement on Craigslist. I do a Google search several times every day.
https://youtu.be/Fd9DRxl9wrE
Attachments
Lisle 91000 ginder.jpg
lisle 91000 - 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 pm

There is another drill bit grinder that I would be pleased to own. I spent hours on the internet truing to find a used unit. I called the factory and talked to sales. There is a year of lead-time to buy a new grinder. The factory owner bought this basic design in the very late 1800s and changed the design in about 1938. This model they sell today is almost unchanged since 1938. The only change have been the addition of a STARRETT micrometer on the drill bit feed.
I hope I get lucky in the near future, in my search for a good condition used Sterling. I am not adverse to buying a new unit, if I have no choice.
Attachments
sterling drill bit grinder.jpg
STERLING
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion