SECOND HAND STORE FIND

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Re: SECOND HAND STORE FIND

I worked with a guy who could sharpen bits incredibly well free hand. I never could learn the skill, although he tried to teach me. I have been tempted by those "drill doctor" things but look too cheaply made to do a good job.
This same guy once took a carbide drill bit and free- hand ( with an air powered hand drill) drilled a ball bearing! Try it some time, it isn't easy to do!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm

i have a drill doctor . works reasonably well. although I could have bought a bunch of new bits for the price I paid for it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 am

My signature says just about all a person needs to know.
I do have larger size drill bits up to $100 each and a few more than that. I have needed to change the angle of a grind for plastic and having the right sharpener would be great..
The picture shows a lucky hand ground larger drill bit.
The other pictures show spring perch pin damage and drilling the pin out. I make new pins in custom sizes. (for my projects).
Attachments
PERCHES AND SHACKLES.jpg
perch pin drilling.jpg
drilling out the damages perch pin
PERCH CORROSION.jpg
spring perch corrosion
NICE SHARPENING JOB.jpg
Hand grind.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Very impressive. That photo of the chips coming out of the drill flutes says it all. Perfection! My compliments!
Those chips speak numerous tales: perfect feed rate, drill sharpness, set-up and operators’ talent.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks WEW. Now my head is too big for my cap. I have to think that there is a significant amount of luck, in my case. I don't show the screw-ups.
We are having a perfect Florida Day here, today. I did not set my soft alarm and sort-of over slept today. I put my feet on the floor at 11:43h. I have had my b'fast and I am out of excuses so I am off to the shower then it is out into the great outdoors.
I did a little garage sale cruising yesterday. The old and original persons from this neighborhood have sold and moved away in the last ten years. Most of the good junk that I like was sold or went with the people when they moved. It is rare to find much other than used shoes and clothing at garage sales in 2018.
I bought a small Shop Vac for $10 at one garage sale. I thought the vacuum was a little heavy. The tank felt like there was water and possibly ice inside. After loading the vac in my truck I drove off. I did notice the seller chasing after me and waving. I pretended to not notice and it was pedal to the metal. At the next garage sale, curiosity got the better of me, so I opened the Shop Vac. There was a dozen Granville Island IPA in water and ice inside. What a deal, $35 worth of craft beer and the Shop Vac as a bonus. After struggling with the situation, I finally did the right thing. I shared the beer with my family.
Attachments
LISLE 91000.jpg
check out this guys website.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 am

I like the instruction on the motor!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 am

Make sure to do each instruction in the proper sequence or you’ll end up sharpening your finger.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Too late. Now, I cannot pick my nose.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 pm

The Vancouver Police have issued a warning about the dangers of buy and selling on Craigslist. I man about my age was beaten nearly to death in an exchange. The assaulting thief got away with a bunch of worthless costume jewelry and the seller may never recover. I have had a few dangerous encounters and near misses. SOOO, I will be changing my modus operandi.
My last Craigslist encounter with a "flake" was this last week. A potential buyer called from a distant part of British Columbia and made arrangements to view my for sale motorcycle. After driving 7 1/2 hours he hooked up with an old friend and they went out drinking. He spent too much of his allowance buying drinks and was feeling too sick. HIs angry wife called to tell me the a$$hole she married was in a deep pile of stuff.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:34 pm

If I were still riding, I would be interested in your Motorcycle. As you well know, things and circumstances change. We are not as young as we once were. You be safe Friend!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion