WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I spent about 5 hours clearing the motorcycle lift table and moving just about everything in the shop to a different location. All this so I could get my motorcycle onto the lift and place is somewhere with easier access for some fuel system updates.
Just as my son arrived home to help, I was ready for him. We loaded the bike onto the lift outside, at the back of the shop then wheeled the lift into place.
One end of the lift is equipped with an inverted fifth wheel on a handle system. The front end of the lift has twin walking beams with dual casters on each beam. This allows the lift table to be rotated in it's length.
I turned off the furnace pilot light today, for safety. Now I can replace all of the fuel lines on the bike. It is time, after all, the Valkyrie is 20 years old.
Attachments
VALKYRIE ON THE LIFT FOR FUSL LEAK.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I spent almost three hours trying to find the "fuel leak" my motorcycle is supposed to have. I turned the fuel on with the engine off, then ran the engine with the fuel on. I don't smell fuel and I cannot see where a leak might be. FRFUSTRATING.
I am not the guy who will write this situation off to, "Oh well, it must have healed itself." Gasoline leaking onto a hot engine is a less than ideal situation. I might add some dye to the fuel and get out my SnapOn ultraviolet light thingee.
As much as I dread changing the fuel lines it should be done. The bike is a 1999 and is 20 years old. There are what looks like a hundred hoses and connections for emissions, CC vent and fuel. I am not of a mind to start removing carburetors, there are six of them, and any disturbing that sextet is PITA getting it right on the return.
The Honda Valkyrie Workshop Manual has lots of really good pictures and drawings. Too bad only a few of the pictures have descriptions.
It is supper time now and the news is on in 10 minutes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Not today but almost a week ago I did a little "farmer fix" on the radiator of the 71 Loadstar. There was a slight leak in the top tank just above the core. I needed the truck to be in good running order next day to haul to the cleaning plant. With my history of poor soldering I was reluctant to make a bad situation worse. So fell back on my old reliable JB weld. Mixed up a small dab and smeared it on the tank after cleaning and drying up the area. Next morning it was set pretty well and I put on some hard miles through the day with no signs of leakage. I'll call it fixed.
Attachments
Loadstar view April 11.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Nice working in the shop these days with only solar heat keeping it warm enough. No fossil fuels being burned in the furnace as winter turns to spring. I'm experimenting and learning to weld with flux core wire on the new Lincoln 180 welder. It went pretty well for a complete amateur I think.
https://youtu.be/SxiRw_sgg68

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

My son and I unloaded a STERLING drill bit grinder, I bought yesterday. We brought it into the shop. I was unable to resist the urge to start the fix. I sprayed WD40 on the sliding joints and adjusters. Everything moves as it should now.
This Sterling suffers from three decades of neglect. It was stored inside and out of the weather. There is very little surface rust and lots of fine dust on every part.
I have a vintage Fosteria Machine light I have been saving just for a situation like this.
I have 9 of these Made in Canada Reel-O-Matic retractable cord units. I will be making a bracket for the support tube to hold the retractable cord. The male and female ends will be reversed. This makes the power cord to the grinder into a retractable.
Here are a few before pictures and other to show what I expect a restoration to look like.
http://www.sterlingdrillgrinder.com/index.html
Attachments
RETRACTABLE TROUBLE LIGHT.jpg
SWIVEL POINTS.jpg
HAMMER DAMAGE REPAIR 1.jpg
STERLING 2.jpg
STERLING 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm

I started my day with having the AC in my Ram 2500 serviced. The system was cooling a little and the pump was cycling too often. My friend has a new SnapOn fully automatic AC service machine. He attached the hoses, pressed the start button and in about 10 minutes the unit beeped and the deed was done. The vent temperature dropped to 4.1 degrees Celsius and the pump stopped cycling.
I spent the remainder of my shop time taking detailed pictures of my STERLING grinder. I will need the pictures for easier and correct assembly.
Depending on the weather, I could be painting the bits and pieces tomorrow.
The paint will be TREMCLAD to match the camelback drill in the attached picture.
Attachments
HOEFER CAMELBACK.jpg
1897 DRILLPRESS.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 22, 2018 1:32 am

The Sterling grinder is torn apart and some of the pieces have been glass beaded. Tomorrow I am taking the base and riser to a commercial sandblast shop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 22, 2018 9:27 pm

First thing on my agenda, today, was to go to MANUS ABRASIVES and buy another 25 pack of glass protectors for my sand-blast cabinet. I had help yesterday and together, we could not find the 24 pieces left from the last purchase. As is often the situation, I found what we were looking for and now I have 48 spares. I added the latest 25 to the drawer to make sure we will not be able to find them ever again.
Rather than polishing or plating the adjuster knobs and handles, I tried some BIRCHWOOD CASEY metal treatment after glass-beading. I like the look. I will save about $100 over plating.
I had to make/modify a pin punch to drive out the tiny drive screws that held the tags in place. This mod/make thingee took about an hour.
I forgot to take pictures, today, so I will change that, tomorrow.
I should be ready for painting, tomorrow.
Attachments
MOD-U-BLAST CABINET.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 pm

The repaint has started.
Attachments
used-sterling-drill-bit-sharpener.jpg
before
STERLING BASE APPLE GREEN.jpg
STERLING GREEN MOTOR HOUSING.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve been toying around with an idea for awhile now. The hood on an L model is quite cumbersome to handle alone when I want to take it off the truck. I’ve done it in my younger days when it wasn’t painted as nice as it is now. Now that it has a nice paint job, it almost mandates that I have a helper to lift it off. Some recent work I did under the hood has fueled some head scratching and I think I’ve come up with an idea that makes removing the hood easier and can be done solo. I have dibs on a garage door that is going to get replaced by a cousin of my wife. I’m thinking about a light weight gantry over the hood, mounted to the trusses of my shop, hoist mounted to the gantry and a frame suspended from the hoist with some slings to let the hood rest on. That’s a little general description for now, but I’m thinking the gantry can be made from old garage door tracks, rollers, etc. It holds up a garage door, and the hood doesn’t weigh more than a door, so my thinking goes. It’s going to be about a month before I get the old hardware, so I have time to think through the details. Anyone see any serious problems with this plan so far?
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion