K-4 Owners

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Re: K-4 Owners

KedsAtTruck.jpg
Montana Grand Kids with K4
I am out in Montana working on paperwork to get the old K4 titled and licensed. A law enforcement officer is going to come and verify that the serial number is OK. If everything goes great I may have the paperwork done in a week or so. I can't wait to put around the block with real license.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:32 pm

With a crew like that I'll bet that will be a ride to remember . I was born in Missoula ,my uncle is still in Supierior [or how ever you spell it ] Montana , and from what I remember ,if you are planning a trip around the block you better fill up the tank !

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm

GregS3434 wrote:It is true that we don't have many posts regarding K-4. If you are out there please post or send me an email.

Greg- If I were you, I'd have that picture, the one of the two helpers sitting on/under your truck, framed and mounted in my office or shop. It does NOT get any better than that. About six months from now, when they are already grown up and moved out, that picture will bring back some amazing good memories.

Edit- I did not realize they were your grandkids, but the time frame is still probably the same. And, you could include either picture of the truck and kids, both are great. Cute family, awesome truck.

As to the production numbers, it sounds like, due to the rarity, your truck just went up in value faster than Bitcoin. I think it is awesome, despite the difficult time finding parts. Makes my 73' Loadstar look ubiquitous.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

Thank you guys for the nice comments. The old K4 will be full of fun on that ride around the block. Girls and boys hanging out everywhere. I have taken lots of photos from out in Glacier but the shots of the grandkids with the old truck are more precious to me.
I have all the paperwork complete and will be sending it in to get a title today.
GrandKidsHelping1.jpg
Helping:)

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 am

Here is an interesting comment about the scarcity of K4s. When I went to get a bond for the title paperwork they had to come up with some value. The insurance lady couldn't find anything at all on K4 so she had to end up using the K3 NADA price.

The Lord has blessed me with a wonderful family and toys to play with. Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 am

K4TitleClip.JPG
Now Legal!!

This is a great day in K4 land. I now have a real title. I can get license and putt around town

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Always a good feeling!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Here is a Very Rare K-4 with Factory installed Anthony steel bed pick up box, according to Wisconsin historic register, 51st out of 924 K-4 made in 1942

Anthony made this box for 1 ton Diamond T pick ups, 1 ton Studebaker pick ups and I guess International too,

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 73757.html
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 am

Thank you so much Bedrockjon. I love that pickup bed. I am thinking about what to do with my bed. Only have a frame now.
K4 with Butte in Background.jpg
NO bed

I was leaning towards the simple flat bed but after seeing that pickup bed I wish I could make something like that. Maybe some day. Getting those big fenders would be the most difficult. I tried to correspond with the guy in the link you sent me. We will see what he has to say. Wish I could purchase it and share parts then move the less of the two.
Again Thanks for the link. K-4 links are few and far between.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello K-4 owners. ( 3 that I know of )
I am back out in Montana working on the K4. The mission this time is to get the back tires on. And possibly work on the back brakes. Here are my problems this time. I still really need a couple of smaller rims for the duals on the back. I have a set of 20x5 rims and a set of 20x7s. I wish I could trade the 7s for 5s. I will be finding out what the 6.5x20 tires look like on 7 inch wide rims.
Another thing is getting the rear axles out. I thought and still do think that after taking the nuts off the studs the floating axle should pop out like the later ones. However I didn't see any lock clips like new style floating axles have. they only had nuts and lock washers. Once they were off I noticed 2 1/2" threaded holes in the axle head plate. I tried putting bolts in the holes thinking that it would jack the axle out but that didn't go that well. Any words of wisdom?
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB