WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Years ago I bought a Franz Kuhlmann pantograph moiling/engraving/copy machine. I had intended to use this top of the line engraving machine to cut names into dipstick knobs and lids for coolant, ATF and oil. Life gets in the way of some of the best made plans, sometimes. I spent part of the day in the shop locating all of the bits and pieces and dedicated tooling for this machine. If I remember, there are about 6 sets of New Hermes brass fonts for this machine. I also have a small jeweller's engraving pantograph from Franz Kuhlmann, complete with Old German fonts and punctuation.
I am sorry to see this stuff go, but I need to narrow my focus for the things that matter the most, to me. These things are old engines and old IHC trucks.
Attachments
COWS WE HERD THAT.jpg
SHOCKING
New Hermes block font.jpg
FRANZ KUHLMANN 1.jpg
FRANZ KUHLMAN 4.jpg
FRANZ KUHLMAN 3.jpg
FRANZ KUHLMAN 2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:13 pm

I swept the shop floor and moved some machines around for better use of the space. It was time to get out the Shop Vac and pick up the dust. Someone had put the Vac away with about 10 kilograms of wet mud in the tank. The filter bag was destroyed and the air filter was totally clogged.
I drove to KMS Tools to buy new filter media and on the way home the Cummins Engine started to buck and run irregularly and then the engine stopped. I was doing 120kmh and I was able to coast for about 2 kilometers to a safe drive-off. Mundie's Towing picked my truck and me and I was home in just under an hour and $133.18 lighter in the wallet. I get $50 back from my government insurance because I an a Road Star member.
The worst case sererio will not be so bad, after all I have had many years of good and trouble free service from this 2002 Cummin/Ram 2500.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm

That is a real bummer my Friend. It is a nice truck, even for being that old. Hopefully, it is not a major issue and easily fixed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:56 am

Lift pump or filter?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Was at a show yesterday and saw this rat rod with a Cummins diesel, two turbos. Said to produce over 1000hp. Reportedly was built to get the owner into the 200mph club. I don’t think I’d want to go 200mph in a rat rod, but to each his own......
Attachments
740062D8-2FD5-4A99-8351-787067AAE761.jpeg
93FF3BA7-9EDD-4BD1-B540-6BCAFE5A5970.jpeg
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Here in the Colder North and on the Wet Coast, there is a Cummins powered vehicle at a show and shine every so often. I remember one Cummins powered vintage pickup that ran on a combination of Diesel and BS in equal parts. The exhaust had a distinct smell of compost and decaying hay. I would imagine fuel filtering could become a major situation.
VW/Bugatti sell a Veyron for a couple of million dollars so it will go over 200 mph. I doubt thee is an economical short-cut to that go-faster-club.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Lift pump or filter?

I have not been outside to the shop today. I have a suspicion the fuel gauge is not showing correctly. The odometer reset has a suspiciously large number of kilometers showing for the position of the fuel gauge pointer. The RAM may have run out of fuel. I shut down ASAP and coasted to the next safe pull-off. These VP44 pumps do not tolerate fuel starvaion very well or for very long.
I replaced the Carter 4601 https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/ with a DDRP lift pump several years ago. http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/fass/DDRP.htm I have more confidence in the DDRP, but failure is still possible. The fuel filter was replaced last summer.
I forgot to replace the fuel last fall. I may have to loosen one or more fuel lines at the injectors to dump air that may have entered the system. The Daimler Chrysler shop manual has restart procedure for filter and out of fuel situations .If I still have a no-start, I will call Mundie's Towing and have the truck dropped at NW Fuelinjection in Port Kells. This Cummins has about one half million kilometers on this VP44 pump, so, it may be a typical failure point.
I do not have any plans to go anywhere today, but being crippled by knowing that my main source of getting aroud is not an option is not a good feeling.
The tow truck that got my truck and me home is a 2017 Ram 4500 dually, Cummins automatic. This RAM has some kind of compression braking. When activated the transmission changes to the correct gear and it appears the locking torque-converter locks up. On the steepist hill we had to go down, the engine braking system was able to hold back about 6500 kg total load to 30 kmh without adding wheel brakes.
While I really like the new RAM Diesel, and we can afford to buy one, the "other half" will not likely be including a replacement to deplete our savings by $50,000. We do not finance anything.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:
cornbinder89 wrote:Lift pump or filter?

I have not been outside to the shop today. I have a suspicion the fuel gauge is not showing correctly.
While I really like the new RAM Diesel, and we can afford to buy one, the "other half" will not likely be including a replacement to deplete our savings by $50,000. We do not finance anything.

If that happened in Sask. I'd say you were trying to burn summer fuel in the winter. But I know it doesn't get cold enough there for that to be a problem
I've never financed a vehicle yet either, other than a tractor. I wonder how different the world might be if we all only bought what we could afford to pay cash for?
I paid cash for my latest. With the trucking it came to just over $1000. :jester:
https://youtu.be/VsLlvjM495M

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm

On the off-chance the fuel gauge was faulty, we added 20 litres of Diesel to the truck tank. We changes the fuel filter and ran the Daimler Chrysler shop manual pre-start procedure, twice. We tried to start the engine and it did not stat. Next, I loosened some of the injector line nuts, cranked the engine and watched for fuel. There was not fuel.
I called the truck shop and I have an appointment for Friday. The Dodge will be delivered to the truck shop on Thursday. The truck shop's procedure will be diagnostics followed with repairs as required.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles Nikki. Hope the bill is small.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion