Florida Autofest

As we travel, it is nice to comment about where we are going and/or where we have been and all the IHC trucks that we have seen on our journeys.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Florida Autofest

Participated in the car show at the Florida Autofest - Lakeland - by Carlisle Events. Received two awards: Veterans Pick and Co-owners Choice.
Not only is it a car show, but auction, car corral, swap meet, etc. A whole plethora of car oriented activities. One of the vehicles presented by a company with Collector Cars for sale is the ‘41 K panel truck shown below.
Knowing how much I spent building my truck, that’s not a bad price, but I recognize it as being a high price to shell out. Many will not find that price attractive.
Met another IHC owner who says he is building a KB3 rat rod on a S10 chassis and a KB6 restoration. He says he visited on this site. Maybe he’ll be interested enough to return. He says finding parts is tuff. Who didn’t know that?
Attachments
520291A5-EAB1-4FD4-A8AD-D7A3CD93CB90.jpeg
B7D89918-9BCA-4809-9C48-6AA300556028.jpeg
77A706E8-98A2-47D8-811B-41F1307F9B88.jpeg
E5EC03B2-6C08-488E-A50A-E74A2CA0E3BF.jpeg
CAF2BE9A-B023-4C4E-943D-A025A4D634E9.jpeg
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Florida Autofest

If the workmanship is as good up close as it is from a meter away, the asking price is good value. As you wrote, "Many will not find that price attractive." That is so true. For many persons there is the reality check when they run out of funds and time because there was no written plan. 10 of the 14 IHC pickups I bought had angry wives pushing the dreamer to sell.

https://youtu.be/_lt_3AS922Q
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Many, many, many years ago when I was young and dumb and had zero funds, I got the idea I wanted to restore a model T ford. I had one spotted and before I bought it, I decided to ask advice from a local fellow who had restored several. I asked if I had questions or needed advice on restoring the model-T, could I come to him for help. He said "most certainly and while we're on the subject of advice, my first piece is to tell you to go buy one already restored". I said, "Darn, I can't afford that". He said "Go to the bank, borrow the money, and make a monthly payment". "That way you'll have a nice car that you can enjoy immediately and you don't have to wait 3-4 years and besides that, you'll spend more than the monthly payment per month on restoration parts and materials". I never forgot his advice and I didn't buy the car. Now that I'm old, fat, and have 8 old Ih's, I wonder why I didn't heed his advice. It must be CRS syndrome because I didn't buy the first one until I was 62.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 am

this has always been good advise that I have chosen to ignore. buying someone else's dream is not mine. I enjoy working on the many things, the challenges of getting things right, building the vehicle the way I want. my big mistake when I built my 65 mustang was keeping a very detailed spreadsheet of all parts, their sources and costs. The grand total is a whopper. if I am lucky I might be able to sell for a third to half (if I am real lucky) of what I put into it. doesn't matter though, as I won't sell. the benefit of the spreadsheet though is that it was what I used with the insurance company to get a stated value policy. with my kb1 I am not keeping track of the money I spend. doesn't really matter, as in the end I will have the truck I want. and will enjoy driving it.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:31 pm

restoKB1, You're exactly right. One point I forgot to mention was that the fellow also told me that I could buy a car already restored for 1/3 to 1/2 of what it would cost me to restore it. As far as the panel truck above goes, he'll be lucky to get half of what he's asking. I've seen some really nice panels sell cheap. On another note, one of my good friends once told me that there are two types of people who restore old vehicles. Those who enjoy the process and those who enjoy the finished product. I don't know where I fit in exactly but I seem to enjoy the process a little more than the finished product. Once I get one done, I'm eager to get started on the next one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:41 pm

I fall into the Enjoy the build group. I can think of more than a few excuses for not starting and driving a finished money pit.
My millionaire brother never built or restored a car, but he has owned dozens of other persons projects that failed because of cash flow. Brother said that he never pays more than ten cents on a dollar for someone's project.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Panel is on Ebay right now, 3 days left, 19k the bid. Be interesting to follow.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 am

Maybe you could swoop I at the end and bring that baby home for ...... 19,200, maybe?
Speaking of Out and About, Dan are you coming to the ATCA show at Leesburg again this year? This is their fifth year and my fifth as well.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Bill, Won't be there this year. Maybe next year if the good Lords willing. Two new central air units plus new furnaces to go with them, a new roof on the house, and a blown tire on the 5th wheel RV, that did a lot of damage, will keep me in Ky. this winter. I hope to have the repair's done on the 5th wheel this spring. Take lots of pictures for me. I really like that show and the venue is great. It keeps growing every year. Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm

There’ll be an empty spot reserved with your name on it. Will miss seeing you.
Sounds like you found yourself at the intersection of Catastrophe and Calamity. Hope you find your way back to Easy Street.

Return to Out and About