Score!

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Score!

My Big Bunk 9670 has air start like my Marmon. I wanted to add a air gauge for the air start tank, so replaced the factory oil pressure gauge with another primary air tank gauge. They make a dedicated air start tank gauge, and I have the part number, but it doesn't get any hits on the .net, not even RIchie implement or McFarlands.
These air gauges were used by IHC and Mack, and mount in the dash with a bayonet mount. I have had problems with them breaking the little "ears" that hold it in the dash. PAI is re-producing the Primary Air gauge and it can be used to replace the secondary air if you don't mind the labeling being wrong. OEM IHC gauges are ridiculous in price, and the air start is NLA.
I have found the PAI gauge to be crap, so have been taking them apart and just using the plastic case, and fitting OEM guts.
So Back to the Score! I found a gauge panel at one of the junkyard I frequent that had both primary and secondary air gauges (I need another as the cheap PAI case let go last trip) and much more important... THE FACTORY air start gauge! I have only seen one very early 9670 with air start at a trucking co I used to be leased to, and always kicked myself for not trying to buy it off them. It was an early proto-type 9670 with Neway air suspension and air start, they kept it around as a "yard goat" but don't know where it ended up.
The gauge panel was at another yard than I go to, but was listed on their website. I hope to have it in my possession in a few days. It has to be rare, I have seen so few factory air start trucks of any make, and this was a late one, with an N-14! Must have been a rare truck in its day.
So I am looking forward to getting the panel, and even if the case is shot, I can re-case it in another .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Score!

Really wish you could include a few pictures so people like me know what you're talking about ...
Have a great day.
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Something that seams too good likely is! The gauges arrived today and the gauge I thought was AIR START was trailer brake application pressure. None of my parts books show that as a possibility, so must have been later option. The truck it came from was a 90's truck. All my books and the sub-panel say that location is for rear axle temp or aIr start tank pressure. The axle temp gauge is electric and 90 deg sweep. If you look close at the 1 st picture below, it is marked Air start or Axle temp stenciled on the subpanel.
The mechanical pressure gauges mount in the sub panel with a 1/4 turn bayonet mount. The gauge has a nipple that depresses a stem in the receiving socket. It allows the gauge to be replaced without draining the air system.
I have been having problems with the "ears" on the gauge case. This time around the "ears" on the sub-panel also broke. New gauge and sub-panel solved that.
I have found the hard way not to count on the OEM electric oil pressure gauge, so replaced them on both tractors with 290 deg sweep mechanical gauges and 290 deg sweep ammeter to supplement the OEM voltmeter.
Attachments
bayonnet mount.JPG
Bayonet mount in subpanel
air gauge.JPG
New gauge panel in '83
89 oil pressure.JPG
Mechanical oil pressure and ammeter
89 left panel.JPG
89' left panel showing the air gauge (air start) in place of electric oil pressure.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Few more pic's. Because the nipple is slightly different on the OEM gauge then the aftermarket, I remove the retaining nut and cover glass, and exchange the guts to the new case and re assemble.
Attachments
gauge socket.JPG
socket that the nipple mates too
gauge rear.JPG
rear of gauge showing broken ear
gauge back.JPG
Gauge back showing nipple and retaining nut

Return to Large Trucks