Patiently waiting

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: Patiently waiting

I have driven more than a million miles with Allison. But. An Allison is not for everyone.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:38 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I have driven more than a million miles with Allison. But. An Allison is not for everyone.

Large trucks should never have a automatic transmission, fuller 9 speed or 13 speed road ranger, nothing wrong with the 5 speed that came in my RF-190

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 pm

You say, "Should never have......" Is this a rule I missed?
Allison automatics are very popular here on the West Coast. I worked for a company that had more than 1500 Allison equipped vehicles. Recycling and garbage trucks are all automatics. Nothing beats an Allison in loose sand or gravel. The company likes Allison for heavy traffic steep hills and snow.
https://youtu.be/1UuHEbHGssI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

I like rowing through the gears but if I was in city traffic all day long it might be different.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:58 pm

There are application where a fully auto make sense. Super heavy haul, where you are doing many things at once, need to creep etc is one. OTR trucking isn't one. Like anything else, they can preform in an application where they are not ideal. OTR trucking has been done with auto's but you trade off too much.
Much like a Hyd vs. Mechanical winch, the mechanical link just won't quit, sometimes to its determent.
Moving 100K, 200K or 300K lbs on road, a mechanical driveline would be my choice, 1/2M or more and the last thing your going to want to deal with is gear ratio selection.
Stop and go city work like trash trucks and the like, also really shine with the fewer gear changes and fluid coupling an auto can provide.
I drove buses that were semi-autos, no clutch and a fluid coupling between the engine and trans. After 30 or more years in city work, they were still viable, often all they needed were new bands or clutch pack (high gear) to go back out for another 30 years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am

When our rapid transit was being built, the first section had the guide-ways built some distance away and then hauled to the site by modified COE Freightliner trucks. The rear axles were swapped out for so really big double reduction units. The transmissions were really big Allison and the engines were twin turbo 12V71 DD. The heavy haul was done at night so as to not disrupt traffic.
The weight of the guide-way sections was 200 tons, each.
At one of the connection sites, a crane hook opened and dropped a section of guide-way. The impact caused a ground ripple that broke house foundations and windows for about a block.. Persons close to the mishap claimed yo have been tossed out of bed. Many panicked persons reported the incident as an earth quake.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 am

Barnhart did 1M (500 ton) with a KTTA 600 Cummins thru a Cat Power shift trans. Took 2 days to move 35 miles. It is not so much about HP but gear reduction, and when you get enough it is easy to twist things, more hp isn't the answer, but the problem. You want a slow steady pull with as little speed change as possible. The problem comes in when a grade change exceeds the power units ability to pull at that speed, and you have to add more gear reduction. That is when it gets interesting.
If you truck you know on a steep grade two trucks loaded to 80K one with 300 hp and one with 600 hp, both will pull to the top the 300 hp will be doing 15-22 and the 600 will be doing 35-45 but neither will be doing 60, even tho one has twice the hp. With 1M lbs 600 hp is more than enough to pull on the flat and 1000hp wouldn't be enough to pull at speed on a grade.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 am

nikkinutshop wrote:I have driven more than a million miles with Allison. But. An Allison is not for everyone.

BTW who is Allison? I fairly sure thats not you wife, so who is she and why were you spending so much time with her in a car?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Never heard that before.
PreviousNext