Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

My wife shot a video of her moving for the first time in 3.5 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjFZ-TcLQ6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmV9D1fc-WI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Brad,
Like the rest of us, I Enjoy your build thread immensely. The truck came out incredible. Sounds awesome, too!
sounds like it has a Rowdy cam. All the hard work paid off! Congratulations!
Only fitting that you had your helper accompany you on the maiden voyage.
Thanks.
Paul

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am

Appreciate the comments as always.

Well, the surgery i performed on my radiator to give clearance of the power steering pulley failed miserably. Note to self, alumibond does NOT hold up to high pressure cooling system. So, i basically had to junk the radiator. I bought a new one, which i thought, based on pictures, had the outlet aimed a little different. It did not, so yesterday afternoon when i set it in the core support, i was back to square one with clearance issues with the PS pulley.

My initial thought was to hack up the factory support and get the radiator to sit 2-3" lower, giving the clearance needed for the pulley. But, after looking at some of the steel i had laying around, i figured i could build a new one and get the drop i needed. So, thats what i did. After finishing it, and painting it i should be able to get it all back together tonight.

Hindsight tells me that if i was going to build a new support anyways, i should have bought a different radiator with the outlet on the passenger side of the vehicle. Oh well, i guess ya just have to learn the hard way sometimes

Image20171022_192051 by isu_phi, on Flickr

Image20171022_205937 by isu_phi, on Flickr

Image20171022_221902 by isu_phi, on Flickr

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 am

nicely done. I think I would have used smooth rod instead of deformed rebar for a cleaner look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:53 am

lol, my brother in law teased me about the rebar and said the same thing. i just used whatever material i had laying around :)

I did get her all put back together again last night. Hec, almost looks factory and certainly does the job i need it to do. (haha....excuse the temporary puke can gatorade bottle)

Image20171023_212716 by isu_phi, on Flickr

So, i took her out for a drive again. I have been fighting a leak on the rear of the head on the driver side. I was convinced it was the oil pressure sending unit, however, after replacing those parts, i know it is not that anymore. So, i am down to either the valve cover (but i know there isnt any oil under pressure there), or I'll have to pull the intake manifold and replace the gaskets and run a better RTV across the back. Sigh....i suppose it'll never end, but little stuff like that sure is frustrating. I'd really like to work on the rear fenders and tailgate. I have a bit of rust repair and a bunch of body work to do on them.

I did go to the DMV last Friday, and the title should be in my name and delivered in the next week or so. After that, i'll be able to get plates on her and be able to drive legally!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am

the install looks good. good luck with the leak. those can be frustrating. And I like the Gatorade bottle - quenches the motor's thirst when it gets hot and sweaty.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am

I love my truck! I put 100 miles on her this weekend after getting the license plate on Thursday. I do have an oil leak that'll need fixed at some point. And, i'll need to put some kind of return spring on the brake pedal. I found that the brakes were dragging until i finally just pulled back on the brake pedal with my foot. Other than that, so far so good!

After i get back from Iowa over Thanksgiving, i'll be finishing the rear fenders, tailgate, and front bumper :) Y'all have a nice holiday!

Image20171111_114404 by isu_phi, on Flickr

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Looks awesome, Brad! Great to know you're enjoying it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

He said: "My wife shot a video of her moving for the first time in 3.5 years"
Three and one half years is a long time for your wife to remains still. LOL. Nice work as always.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 am

It's always great to be able to drive it! A very nice result from all your hard work.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off