C1 rear fender replacements

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 am

C1 rear fender replacements

What fenders would work on a C1? The originals are in pretty bad shape. I had planned to try and repair them but I think it would be easier to make new ones from scratch. I am getting too old to do that though. In looking at reproduction fenders which all seem to be fiberglass, It looks like 1935 Ford PU fenders might work although the front where they attach to the running boards would need to be reworked. Has anyone used these or other fenders on a C1?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 am

Re: C1 rear fender replacements

I think you're stuck with fixing yours if you want the truck to come out OK. I also have a (C-1 in pieces).
I know of no other fender that would pass muster.
Keep in mind the C-1 is a gorgeous truck (even old Ford people agree) and that stock rear fenders are part of that gorgeous package.
I HAVE seen C-1 rear fenders for sale on Ebay and other places but the prices are astronomical.
If I had to come up with rear fenders here (in dry, antique-truck-full Central CA), I'd scout the "old pickup trailer conversion scene" until I found some. I can't afford $1500 for FENDERS. They are probably worth every penny, though.
One more thing...Chevies and Internationals of this age fell apart early because of all the wood in the cab. That means mid-30s IHC and Chevy pickup beds were made into trailers more than other makes once you account for total sales. These "conversions" often have the stock front axle, wheels, springs, too. A veritable treasure-trove.
BTW, I'm putting Model A fenders and pickup bed behind a 1934 Ford PU. :) I have no room to talk. However, THIS 1934 Ford is a cut-down 1 1/2 ton truck.
All just my opinion! Best of luck!
Attachments
image.jpg
1935 Dodge. Pretty truck! But nope.
image.jpg
1935 Chevy. Nope.
image.jpg
The real deal.
image.jpg
1935 Ford pickup. Close! No cigar, though.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm

This is what I mean on the "trailer conversion". This is a 1937 Plymouth. There are 1935 IHC trailers out there. WITH fenders, of course.
Attachments
image.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm

I understand what you are saying but there were only 150K of those fenders made 80 years ago and most were in really bad shape like mine 40 years ago. I would expect that the few that are still out there would be worth more than my net worth so even if I could find a left right fenders I could not afford them and even if I could they would likely be just as bad as the ones I have now. The '35 Ford fenders look almost the same as the C1 fenders. If Ford fenders were metal I know I could use them because they would be easy to modify but I would not want to mess with modifying fiberglas. I was hoping to find out if some else had used them and what problems they might have had to solve.

That trailer was interesting. Back in the early to mid '80's I bolted my C1 bed to a boat trailer and used it to haul stuff home from the Pate Swap Meet. It made an excellent trailer. When I first got the truck I used this "trailer" to haul the disassembled truck body to Dallas to have the rust striped by electrolysis.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm

It's the details that knock you around with the Ford fenders: how will it attach to the IHC bed? And the RBs?
There's a bracket in there, too?
Gas tank access hole?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Well I think I will bite the bullet and reproduce the fenders. I have a set of wheels for an english wheel that I bought 30 years ago. I guess that is the next step to take. I drew up some plans for a e-wheel many years ago and I found the plans this morning and some of the materials so I will have to make some more space in my shop for a new tool. I rewatched a Ron Covell video on making a fender today so now I am a pumped up 75 year old panel beater.

Return to 1940 and Older