Disc Brakes & Power Steering

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Disc Brakes & Power Steering

I have purchased the 8.8 Explorer rear now I need to find out which hubs will fit L series spindle, I have the template to make the bracket for mounting the calipers, wild guess here but will the Explorer hubs fit?

Can power steering be added to the L series and again from which vehicle? I just have to have power steering as I grew up with manual and my career started with a needle nose Pete with the 4' dia wheel and a foot rest on the dash for leverage, those were terrible times. Then came air assist steering 1985 KW COE worked great until you had to back down a long alley and constantly running out of air. Hydraulic steering is the only way to go.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Disc Brakes & Power Steering

The hubs from your L110-112 will work after you remove the drum. You will however have to get rotors to fit onto them . Wildmanbill had the complete instructions and parts list on the old forum so we may have to wait until these threads are located or Bill can rebuild the thread.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:06 am

Like Bruce said, your stock hubs, if they are 5 lug, will work. First you press out the studs, making sure to support the back side of the hub with a socket. Then get a half inch longer studs to press back into the hub. From Speedway Motors, you can get aluminum rotor hats and 11.75" rotors that bolt onto the hats. Then these will slid onto the hubs like a front wheel drive car does. If you have my template, it is for modifying a weld-on, rear axle bracket for GM metric calipers, also from Speedway.

Here are the part numbers.
rotor hat, 835-1700764
rotor hat bolts, 835-2500071
Vented rotors, 910-31906
Weld-on caliper bracket, 916-41009

Hope this helps, I am working on a full instructional post in another thread for this conversion.
Bill
This photo shows what to trim off and how the new tab is attached.
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 am

Jimmy, here is also a link to Nick's blog, he used my conversion on his L model with a few changes.
http://nwaringa.wordpress.com/category/disc-brakes/

Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Hey Bill Thank you, I have the drawing or template from you and this looks a lot cheaper then a heidts assembly and will start to order parts this coming week. We have a lot of snow to deal with so will most likely have the neighbor stop over with his skid steer to fetch the frame.
What about power steering has anyone tried to tackle that problem?
Jim

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

Hey you big burly tuff trucker types (break! Break! good buddies) :mrgreen: Any suggestions for us wimpy old men to attach power steering to our L-R-S series trucks (no Armstrong jokes) :D
Jim
in the TUNDRA of WI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 am

wisconsinjimmy wrote:Hey you big burly tuff trucker types (break! Break! good buddies) :mrgreen: Any suggestions for us wimpy old men to attach power steering to our L-R-S series trucks (no Armstrong jokes) :D
Jim
in the TUNDRA of WI

Ok no Armstrong jokes but you mean to say that you don't like mexican steering either???You know; Manual STEEEREENG?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 am

Nope, I have evolved to a higher point in life :mrgreen:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

I have heard a toyota pickup steering box will work. I either looked at the wrong one in a junk yard or wasn't looking at correct vehicle as it didn't look workable to me. Power steering off of early 60's Ford auto's was an add on assist ram with valve that hooked onto the steering linkage. I don't know but seems like it went onto the drag link so might not work with the short side drag link in an L series. Then there is a rack and pinion setup that bolts to the strait axle and uses a telescoping steering shaft. No Limit Engineering sells these kits for Chevys and Fords costs close to $700. A couple of the members have stated they don't think this is a safe setup. I feel if No Limit is selling them and Road and Track magazine did an article on this installation it can't be too bad. I can definatly tell you that you feel the bumps in the road through the steering wheel as the steering shaft is telescopic but the force transmits a small kick or bump into the steering shaft. MM

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am

well maybe I will just settle for the OEM that came with the truck and be content with life, I do not live in the city so I will deal with it.
JimG
Next

Return to L, R and S