Truss Crane

Place to tell and show the tools you have made/Modified to work on your International!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Truss Crane

number 2.jpg

I recently put up a machine shed 60 x 56x 16 walls I tried to hire a crew to set the trusses and screw down the steel. They were 2 months booked.
I have a hyster H80 lift truck that raises 14 feet.
I had an old truck crane.
I mounted the truck crane on a heavy steel post with a heavy gusetted bottom.
I used a 1 inch by 4'x4' steel plate as a base.
Before I put up the front wall I stood the bundle of trusses up right in front of the front wall.
I would drive to the front wall and put the crane arm over the top of the wall and lower the winch cable and hooked up a truss. Raised it up to the crane arm.
I hooked up the hydraulics for the crane to the side shift hydraulic valve on the lift truck.
With the lift truck fully eatended and the crane all the way up I was 6 inches above the walls.
then just drove the 60' trusses into place. It required a 26 foot lift to the top of the truss.
I built the 4' X braces in the center by the scissor lift to go between all the trusses. With blocks every 4 feet on top of the walls and the 4' spacer /brace in the center there was no measuring.
I rented the scissor lift for three weeks at 250.00 per week. money well spent. I put all the all the purlins on from the scissor lift going up between the trusses. I never got on the roof until sheetmetal.
I put four, three inch torx head screws in every purlin joint and six inch screws where the trusses meet the walls plus hurricane straps.
Thats my son on the scissor lift/ He helped when he could.
Some days I got 2 trusses up some days one. I had the trusses and purlins up in three weeks. On a good day i could work three hours. Chemo zapped my body. How I miss working a 12 hour day.
Appreciate every day you have your health.
Mike
Last edited by mikelud on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Re: Truss Crane

Mike- that's an amazing accomplishment considering your condition, congratulations on such a strong will. That will be one nice building when completed, hopefully with room to add to your collection! I am planning my next building, but will hire most of it completed as I am still working and farming. I would consider metal roofing over plywood decking, but metal alone is too noisy for me...K

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm

New Bitmap Image.jpg
K Effective
The building is mostly complete. this was built about a year and a half ago. Im better now as far as I know. Last scan was clear and i never went back.
Im trying to download a pic of the rig I made to lift the 31 foot long roof panels up
steel alone is too noisy. I have steel to line the walls and ceiling. With insulation.
Im going to bolt that crane I made to the floor next to my Jig Bore.
Mike

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 am

I built this in a wire basket to slide the roof steel into then lift it up with the lift truck to the edge of the roof snd slide the metal out onto the roof. Its balanced well and built at the roof pitch. I loaded four sheets at a time. You can laugh, I just kept adding bracing to get enough strength. The panels are 31 feet long. It is turned handeling into a one man job.
number3.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

I have done much the same to get the job done by just myself
the big deal is safety , don't rush it is fun but not at the expense of your well being..

My project is still on going after thirty years , log cabin build,
the heavy lifting is done but the piddling around is forever and very satisfying
but not a day passes without a good safety plan in place and adhered to...

Yours is a reminder for a refresher and reminder to my company work crew today,
Thanks for that..
Your project looks good!

Always be safe

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am

Harvey
I wouldnt let my boys get on the steel roof. I finally got a pair of shoes that got some grip in the steel. I had a safety harness and rope on. The scissor lift saved trying to climb around putting the purlins on. With 16 foot walls its a deadly fall.
In the picture of the truss hanging you can see a second cable running through the pulleys. It hooked to a chain. I used an ebay 3000lb winch but they are not designed for overhead lifting. Thi safety cable was bigger than the winch cable. The trusses weighed 550lbs.
The rig to raise the steel up.made where I could slide a 31ft piece of steel in , raise it and slide it out. A one man job. I would pre punch a couple holes to get the first screw in easy.
There is satisfaction in building like this but Im more anxious to get to work on my projects
The time You spend preparing usually pays off. In building the crane I had to back up and make changes several times. I was streched completly out on getting it high enough. I really dislike working off of ladders
Mike
no.4.jpg
I need a railing . but this scoffold on wheels will help with the cieling.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Good to hear...

That is such a cool shop build .....

Steve

Harvey's my Truck --:)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Steve

8-) Thats the perfect name for a truck.
I think Jimmy Stewert had a rabbit named Harvey. A big rabbit. If my memory is right.
Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Yes he did..

I had one as well but thats another story..

Cheers

Return to What Special tools Have you Made?