WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

As someone who has milked a few Jerseys, I must say your posters are grand.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:08 pm

I had a short but good visit with an old friend, today. Sadly he has been diagnosed with colon cancer. He is being fast-tracked for surgery. While he says he is not worried, I can see this news has changed his demeanor.
He and I are the same age. Not all that long ago the two of us talked about losing so many long time friends and having so few friends left to call on. We talked about the one of us living longer would dance on the other's grave. He announced that he was going to be cremated when he "goes" and I will do the same. Now what?
On the positive side, we have public health and any and all treatment will not cost him or his family anything. Here in British Columbia, we have, what some describe as, the best cancer treatment available in Canada.
The best I am able to do is hope for the best outcome for my friend. When I had cancer, I hated it when persons would say, "OH, it will be OK." Such frivolous BS just added to my stress. Old friends don't have to say very much, we just know.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Well said. I fear many don't know what to say, so they come out with that platitude, which dismisses all the concern and possibilities, saying your worries are unfounded, when the opposite is true

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 pm

I hope that all turns out well for your friend. I will lift a cool one for his successful treatment.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:51 pm

My 2002 Ram 2500 is suffering from a situation common to these trucks with the cargo doors. The lower latches for the rear doors become jammed from internal rust. The latch release lever can be forced to move but the internal latching mechanism remains jammed. I pulled on the release rod and used a pry-bar to force the bottom of the door to open. The latch internal hook slowly turned and gave way
All of the "best" instructions are detailed on how to fix the latch situation, with the doors open. If I could get the doors to open, I would not think there was a problem.
The replacement latches will be here tomorrow. Picture of failed latch later. :biggrowl:
Attachments
cargo door lower latch.jpg
cargo door place to pry.jpg
cargo door lower pin.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Nikki,
All the best to your friend with colon cancer. I went through it a year ago last January and all is well so far, a wake up call to be sure. I healed up in time to get 5 stents in my heart and am waiting to get a new aortal valve. Puts a crimp in the old life style and I do have good insurance being a lucky union member with retiree health supplement. Guess we just have to play what we are dealt and make the best of each day. Thoughts are with you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:41 pm

I hope this is a local phenomenon. I am frustrated in my efforts to find an underpaid "associate" at any of the builder supply stores. This was until I called LOWES in Queensboro. A young male voice in the electric lighting department knew what I was asking about. I want to buy T8 4 foot florescent fixtures without the ballasts. I do not need a ballast for direct wired LED replacement bulbs. Lowes have the best price for this area at under $20 and I am going there this evening.
Speaking of ballasts and disposing of them correctly, it has become a big deal, here. I had to go onto a website and determine which ballasts I have. Because of the 30 plus years I have had these lights and taking into consideration the lights were much older and used when I bought them, all but one ballast have PCB in them. This has turned into a really big deal because of the carcinogenic nature of PCB. I have to look up each ballast, label them and verify by the product number that I did my due diligence before I can take the ballasts to a stage two disposal approved company.
I finally got a number to call and a code to use so I do not get charged the crippling disposal fees that could run into hundreds of dollars.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 pm

POWDER-COATING PARTS

I have given my reasons more than a few time for not liking powder-coating parts. I understand the economic reasons for using powder-coating, but, the process should be well understood before committing parts to the melted plastic finish.
My employer dropped powder coating the parts of the hydraulic lifts. The company had more than 750 vehicles with hydraulic lifts. The reason for this was and is a plastic dust melted coating can be compromised and water can get in under the coating. Just like a Zip-Lock bag, the moisture cannot escape and the base metal was subject to heavy corrosion.
I am having to change the lower latches for the rear cargo doors on my 2002 Ram 2500. The reason why the latches failed was because of failed powder-coat. The abrasion of the latch against the lock pin cause the plastic to wear through. Moisture got in and under the plastic melt and destroyed the latch.
Go ahead and use powder-coat on your project, but, understand the heightened possibilities of failure that your parts may be subjected to because of where the parts are going to be used.
Attachments
cargo door lower pin.jpg
powder coating 99% gone.
cargo door latch with failed powercoated latch.jpg
powder coating pealing away. The latch is frozen solid from captive moisture and resulting rust.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Thats a shocking amount of rust, you've convinced me. No powder coating. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm

If the pre-coating surface preparation is not none really well and the parts are not coated immediately, there will be oxidation of the surface. Covering the oxidation will not prevent further oxidation or stop what has started. The best long term solution, the company I worked for and PPG came up with is an etching primer like DP40, followed by an epoxy paint. I hung some miscellaneous PPG painted junk parts off the dock where we kept our sailboat. The marina is in salt ocean water. After two years the PPG paint and primer was intact and survived scraping off a bunch of barnacles.
Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention the hydraulic lifts. Years after the PPG painting the lifts remained in better condition than expected.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion