WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:34 am

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

We never got in to "hard core" repo's just people trying to "hide" their car once they knew they were going to loose it.
We had more problems on "trespass" tows, where people parked where they weren't allowed. More than once the driver was shot at. On those, the procedure was to roll in black (lights off) and hook-up any way possible, and yank down the street to get out of the "kill zone" and re-hook for the tow to the impound.
All in all neither was our stock and trade, we did far more consensual tows where a car broke down, or was a "trade" to a dealer for a better car.
It was a fun job and got to meet and help people. I had more than one invitation to eat dinner after helping someone, and if they wanted to learn, I would show people how to change their own tire with the tools in the car, rather than use the truck, which was faster.
No matter what, I always said, "by the time we reach someone, they already had a bad day"!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:21 pm

My son and I spent part of the day changing the lights in the shop from florescent to led. With 7 of 28 tubes changed to LED, the shop is brighter. The HYPERIKON light tubes do not use the ballast/transformer but operate on 120 volts AC. Instant on and 90% less power consumption are the best parts. I polished up the original plastic diffusers, and installed them. The LED lighting is just as bright with the diffusers in place and there is less shadowing.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:12 pm

I need to get LED lighting.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:I need to get LED lighting.

Will they work when the temp gets down near 0F degrees in my shop?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:55 am

Our LED bulbs are rated to work at temperatures between 130 degrees and -25 degrees Fahrenheit, or 54 degrees and -31 degrees Celsius . As long as the environment you're using the bulb in falls within this range, your bulbs will work just fine!
Hyperikon say that you will save 55% on your electricity. I'm thinking that is a conservative statement.
We don't get the really cold weather here on the west coast, but, every winter I would replace around 10 of the 28 florescent tubes.
The pulsing light from florescent lights bothers my eyes and I always had to wear a cap. That annoying ballast hum is gone.
You can get more information at www hyperikon.com. I bought my LED lighting through Amazon. Shipping was free and arrived in 48 hours. I saved about 50% over the best local price. Hyperikon is Made in USA and shipping is from Canada for Canadian orders.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Well, a week has passed an the Bendpac four post lift I went to view is still for sale. The asking price has dropped a $1000 to $3000. I had made an offer of $1000. After a week and a counter offer of $2000 from the seller, I am taking this as a rejection of my $1000. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/tls/6166864426.html
I am not saying that this is not a good deal for someone, I need the numbers to work for me. I can easily afford a new four-post. My wife was the health and safety person for a large corporation and is a health and safety contractor for another company now that she is "retired".
Here is the thing that I am stuck with. A new in the box of this model is $800 more. I can get delivery for free and a one time stet-up for $250 which included the inspection.
If I were to buy this or any used lift I am going to have to spend $250 to have the hoist taken apart. Another $250 for pick-up, transportation and drop off, then another $250 for reassembly. I have been advised to have a pre-purchase inspection for $100. If the lift is older and the victim of age and wear I would like to know about it before I lay out cash. I am not familiar with these lifts and it is very likely I would miss something critical that may compromise safety. Products often evolve to include new and better parts. Are there parts available for this older lift? What is the price of repairs, if the repairs can be done?
If I have an older or any used lift collapse because I missed something critical, "it is on me" (pun). A proper inspection should give me some coverage from the inspection insurance. I do not want to save a few bucks and risk damage to the car that is most likely to be on the hoist or have the hoist collapse onto it. I have discovered that there is a first time inspection required after a purchase of any lift, new or used.
Bendpac has been very good to me in making a situation right with a set of their Ranger vehicle repositioning Go-Carts. I have learned that I can trust Bendpac-Ranger to do the right thing without any hesitation.
Attachments
BEND PAC RANGER WHEEL DOLLIES 1.jpg
BEND PAC RANGER WHEEL DOLLIES 3.jpg
Ranger wheel dollies
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:15 pm

The original florescent lighting in the shop was all but useless on a dull day and totally worthless on a sunny day. The new LED lights are bright enough to make a difference, in the shop, even when the big door is open.
I have Milwaukee LED lights in M19 and M12. These ae well designed lights and work well for us.
If a person is going to install LED florescent replacement lights for the purpose of saving money, some research may be necessary. The LED replacements for the T8do not rely on the original ballast/transformer for power but use 120 volts. The original ballasts consume more power than the original florescent tubes. We found some of the old ballasts were leaking a black tar like goo and were too hot to handle without welding gloves.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Well, what did i do in the shop today....quite boring really compared to you guys. I hung my rear bumper on the wall some time ago, but i hung some pictures on the wall above the bumper. They are from my recent trip to route 66.
Attachments
IMG_1933.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Nothing boring about that. I have always wanted to drive Route 66 and it not likely to happen, now. I wish I had some space on my walls to hang something else other than scantily clad girls. My Dad used to say, "If you have seen "one", you have seen them all." Dad died in 1989 before internet adult entertainment. I think he might have had a different opinion, if had lived another decade or so. I do know Dad would have said, "Don't tell your mother."
Attachments
COW STRIPPER UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE.jpg
COW STRIPPER
COWS I HERD THAT.jpg
THE EMBARRASSED FAMILY

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

All of the LED T8 florescent replacements are installed. H-S are they bright.
My son and I teamed up and the job job moved along like clock-work.
We removed two double florescent fixtures because they are not needed. In place we added two electric boxes for duplex receptacles. The north duplex gets a Snap-On retractable light and the other receptacle gets a Reel-O-Matic retractable light. Both of these retractable lights are Reel-O-Matic, Made In Canada
We ran the Ford out of the shop and onto the back apron and in an hour there was a bunch of persons stopping for a look and a picture.
I had a fantastic day in the shop.
Thanks to Amazon for great pricing and quick service. Also thank you to HYPERIKON for making a fantastic LED system in USA.
Attachments
retractable light 3.jpg
SNAP-ON RETRACTABLE LITE 1.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion