Flywheel Questions

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon May 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Flywheel Questions

I've looked around with no luck of finding anything that comes close. PaulH, do you know where to get a replacement gasket or have a part number?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 pm

back when I did my first GRD back in the 70s gaskets were N/A, I just bought some sheets of gasket materials, and a punch set for the holes, they are actually pretty easy to make,

I'm not talking Head Gasket of course, but any paper of cork gasket can be made,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Your best bet will probably be to make the one from rubberized cork 1/16" thick, and the front one is just a strip of felt thick enough and long enough to fill the trough. The IH number for the gasket is 70 113 R1, and for the felt strip is 70 114 R1. They are in the FelPro conversion set CS7799, but that's a lot of gaskets for just those two. The FelPro numbers are 5849 and F5854, but I doubt that they're available individually.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks PaulH. I called FelPro and they said there is no way I could get just the for the bell housing. The demand for the set is so low and they make the bell housing gasket themselves, so they do not want to break up a set. I may just get the set as there are other gaskets I could use and making one myself would probably cost me just as much in the bulk material and time to make it. let alone it wouldn't be as nice.

I finally got the clutch reinstalled last night. It really wasn't difficult but a bit time consuming. I went with the 11'' clutch since the flywheel is drilled for two different sizes. I almost did everything correctly the first time but I neglected to check the bolt size for the pressure plate. I checked to make sure the bolt pattern matched, but not until I was trying install the pressure plate did I find out the bolts for a 10'' clutch are smaller than the 11''. The 11'' clutch setup takes 3/8'' - 16 x 7/8''. I was only able to get 1'' long bolts at the local hardware store and decided to grind them down. The 1'' bolt was just little too long as it came very close to the back of the engine block once threaded and tightened down on the flywheel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 14, 2017 11:06 am

I was digging through some parts this morning and came across an old cork flywheel cover gasket. Looks like it would still be useable, and at least a good pattern. Send a PM if you're still needing one.
Previous

Return to L, R and S