Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Sol's '54 R110

Just wanted to point this out, for no particular reason:

SUBARU spelled backwards is U R A BUS. :t3716:
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Freedom!

**** that thing is big. Tape measure says it should fit :t3716:

I need to pick up a trans (manual) then I can start mocking it up in the truck.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Finally got the other projects booted out and the IH is back in!

Picked up a trans last week finally. T45 from a 2000 mustang.

Shoved the engine/trans in. Ford 5.4 DOHC/32 valve w/ Australian Falcon Boss intake.

Had to do some cutting on the firewall, but that was expected.

Since a lot of the floor just bolts in, I only had to cut a little bit on the firewall for now. Shifter ended up about 4" behind the original opening.

Wow, that fit in there perfect.

Now the problems

Oil filter wants to occupy the same area as the steering shaft

Both manifolds are resting on the control arms. Steering shaft is going to have some tight angles on it to get around this manifold.

The guys swapping this engine in to mustangs use the Cobra manifolds a lot of the time and I think at least the drivers side is tucked in a little tighter. Going to study pics and see how much tighter it actually is. A used pair of them would probably be about $100.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 pm

This is probably where the engine is going to end up. Waiting on a set of headers before I make things permanent.

Also hung the front sheet metal back on to see how I was looking for room. The answer is plenty :D

Lots of room in front for the radiator/fans and a/c condenser. I WILL have a/c haha.

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm

One problem with this intake manifold is the throttle body that bolts right on is drive by wire. I've been doing a bunch of reading on this and apparently nobody has found a cable throttle body that just bolts on. Sigh. The most common solution that folks are doing is welding a new flange on for the standard oval throttle body found on various fords.

I hesitated a bit before this. Oh this is expensive, oh what am I doing, oh god SLICE .... ok the hard part is done now :laughing:

New flange welded on (forgot to take a pic of it before).

Another issue is the DBW cars just use the throttle body/ecu for controlling idle, so I had to add a normal IAC valve too.

I had a brain fart and welded it on 180* out. No big deal except the connector points straight in to the firewall. Fortunately I can just get a different valve that has the connector pointing up instead of out the side. I'll need to run a hose from the nipple over to the intake before the throttle body.

Kind of want to make a clear plenum for this, seems a shame to hide this sexyness :D

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Headers came in. Not as huge of an improvement as I was hoping on the drivers side. At least it isn't sitting on the control arm anymore. Worst case I can probably cut and reweld the #1 primary to come up at more of an angle before it turns to the rear.

I can fit both headers in without having to lift the engine or anything stupid like that. I need to get new hardware as the original nuts rusted to the studs. Fortunately every single one of them screwed out and I don't have to drill/tap any of them :D

Pass side, although clearance wasn't bad on this side with the manifold.

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm

My test wheel showed up today. 18x8. Unmodified, it would need a 4" spacer to fit correctly :eek:

Little bit of grinding and lot of BFH action and the center is out of the rim. This rim if from a 2015 police interceptor Taurus and this center stamping is 1/4" steel :p1003:

I flipped the center and now have a custom back spaced wheel. I still need to true it and reweld the center in place. Plus a new valve stem hole. Then sand blasted and repaint it.

*edit*

Stuck it on the rear to see how it looked.

*double edit*

Pulled a spring off the front to see how it fit at full stuff. I think I can deal with this :D

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:38 pm

So what back space are you going with? Like has been said, lots of wheels out there to fit the 5 bolt pattern, just having the clearance from face of drum or bolt surface to truck to clear and not rub, That is the RUB!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:55 pm

It is very shallow, somewhere around 2.5" of BS. It fits the rear very nicely but the front looks like it may need to come in about 1/2-3/4". Unfortunately I can't move the hoop in any more than it is now because of how it is designed.

I need to pull a front spring out and cycle the suspension before I go any further on it.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm

This is impressive. I am reminded of how I felt when did the surgery on an R120 to install a 6.9 V8 Diesel. I like those Ford modular engines.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off