Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Sol's '54 R110

WV is pretty lax. We do have an annual inspection, but as long as it has lights/mirrors/wipers, no gaping rust holes, isn't overly loud, and has decent tires/brakes on it it'll pass. Basically no glaring, obvious safety issues. No emissions at all here either.
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 am

I put the bed back on and rolled it outside so I could clean up the shop a bit.

I was going to limit the up travel on this so I could leave the bed floor stock, but I was looking at it and didn't like not having that 3" of travel available and the possibility of the axle smashing the bed floor from underneath. So drill drill, slice slice and we have a hole. A big reason I did this was most of the spot welds on the passenger side inner fender area were broken so I had to do something with it anyway.

I welded the cut out section back in and folded up the bed floor to match, about like this (don't have a pic of it currently yet)

I bent this up as filler since I lost about 2" with the angled up floor to match the raised portion.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Nice craftsmanship! I agree that that's best way to do the bed floor with your suspension setup.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Here is how the bed floor ended up. I still need to clean up the welds but you get the idea. The angles are shallow enough I should have no issues rolling my dirt bikes over the hump. Plus now I can lay it out as low as it can possibly go to make loading even easier. I LOVED being able to do this my old dodge.

This has been a large headache for me the last week or so. The floor looked reasonably straight until I put actual flat/straight metal up next to it. I ended up cutting my filler panel in to sections so I could hand form the angles to sorta match the bed floor.

Again, I'm building a driver/shop truck and not a show vehicle, so once I pour some bedliner over everything it'll look just fine :D

-Joe
'54 R112

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Again, I'm building a driver/shop truck and not a show vehicle, so once I pour some bedliner over everything it'll look just fine :D

Image[/quote]
Yup! Bedliner will fix everything!
Seriously, this looks seriously good, and if mine weren't a 3/4 ton 4x4, I'd be tempted to try it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Had a cousin and her husband do me a huge favor and picked this up for me from a seller in Texas who wouldn't ship it. Also got a huge favor from a guy on the Excursion forum who was driving from MD to TX and back who picked it up for me from said cousin.

$125. Way less dents to fix now.

It is interesting how the paint faded differently on them as they are both originally the same color. The bottom one spent its life in Montana and the top I'm assuming lived in Texas.

On the topic of fixing dents, I messed with the next worst dent other than the grill which was on the driver side rear fender.

You can see how it was before here

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Got a little side tracked, but still part of this truck build at least. This old toolbox was about 5 seconds from going to scrap last week, but I determined I could do something with it.

It has been floating around here for like 10 years. No idea where it came from :lol: It needs some love though. A few cracks, dents, and holes to fix up, plus making it fit in the IH.

So chop chop, slice slice, trip to the welding shop for argon, weld weld. I narrowed it 6" and shortened it to 10" (front to back), which leaves just enough room to fit the dirt bikes with the tail gate closed.

And just like that, big toolbox is now a small toolbox. The lid isn't attached yet hence why it looks wonky.

Like it was made for it :D

Surgery scars

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:30 pm

fantastic. Perfect fit

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 am

Way to go. I've been toying with the idea of a truck box for my R. I just can't bring myself to to do it. It's so nice to slide stacks of 8' lumber in and close the gate. It also takes ALL of the bed to fit any of my Sears tractors to go play er I mean work somewhere else.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 am

I pushed this outside again and it promptly poured :roll: Something I didn't consider with the hump in the floor, looks like I'll need to add some drain holes :lol:

While it is out of the garage, I plan to bring the Navigator in to yank the engine. A buddy sneaked his subaru in before I could get the Navi around so it'll be a little bit yet (needs to fix some rust on the subaru).
-Joe
'54 R112
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off