Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Sol's '54 R110

I've had a heck of a time trying to find a decent tailgate for my S120 project but when I saw your fabrication a giant bulb went of in my head! Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing you finish it up! http://e-tekrestorations.blogspot.ca/2015/04/newest-project-super-rare-1952.html
Last edited by e-tek on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:54 am

gots_a_sol wrote:
Bridge_Jumper wrote:Awesome idea for making your own tailgate. Do you mind sharing your material sizes and some dimensions? When I bought my R120 we couldn't find the tailgate and it seems almost impossible to find one that's in usable shape, so I'm going to have to make one of my own like you did

Hope this helps. I'd double check the width of your box before starting just to be sure. This is stock height which puts the upper tube in line with the chain hooks. I raised my hinges an inch so it is even with the top of the box now. If I had noticed it before I would have just made the uprights 1" taller (I won't be using the chains). I moved the inner uprights inward a bit (for aesthetics) from the drawing also.

Excellent, thank you sir!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:44 pm

To the scrap yard with this crap

Clean slate. I stopped boxing the frame as this point as I was at the new axle center line with it. I wasn't sure where the crossmember for the air bags/shocks was going to land which is why I stopped where I did.

Dug out the goodie boxes

Something like that maybe? That is a ford 8.8 if I hadn't mentioned it before.

Knocked out a quick truss for the upper link mounts to sit on.

I stopped there and took some measurements from where everything fell so I could check the numbers on bar angles and whatnot. Not an off road rig so obviously doesn't need to account for 14" of suspension travel but I'd like it to handle reasonably well.
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Replaced the fixed upper mounts with some adjustable ones I had.

I ran out of welding wire in the mig and the tank is just about empty also, so I'll need to replenish those sometime this week.

I snagged another grill off ebay but it is in Texas. I have some family that is only 30 mins away so I'm having them pick it up for me since the seller won't ship it. Not perfect but it is in waaaay better shape than what I have now. Plus it was only $125, not sure how much getting it here is going to be though.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 pm

What is the thickness of the "truss" that goes over the differential centre section?
I looked for a better picture of how I installed the Ford 8.8 in my 1940 Ford. I did a four bar with a Panhard Bar. This car has air springs with Holland Neway height control valves.
Attachments
rear suspension.jpg
Left rear suspension 2.jpg
LEFT REAT VIEW
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 pm

3/16" for the truss. The tabs are 1/4".

I had a 80's full size dodge that I did the parallel 4 link/panhard on and it was a heck of a lot easier to do than this triangulated set up.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Gauges. Got a smoking deal on these. Which was even sweeter because I was going to buy almost these exact gauges anyway (was leaning towards black faces). Only one of the gauges was removed from the packaging which I assume was just to check it out, then put back.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Rear lower air bag and control arm mounts.

That about wraps up all the mock up. I'll need to move the lower front mounts/crossmember forward about an inch then I can burn it all in.

Those bags are 8 inchers I had laying around from my old dodge.

Front crossmember moved forward and burned in. Just need to weld the lower axle mounts, figure out the upper air bag mounts, and stick some shocks in there somewhere.

This is at full stuff. Looks like it would be about 4" above the bed floor like this. I'm trying really hard to not cut in to the floor so I'll put some bump stops in there to keep it from making contact. Plus I don't need to go this low with it anyway, just wanted to see how it looked and if there was any clearance issues (upper links contact the truss about 2" from full compression. Drive shaft would hit the upper crossmember also.)

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Dug out my tube bender and built a new stand for it (rolling vs bolted down) plus converted it to an air/hydro ram. Man that made life so much easier compared to doing it manually. Plus it uses a lot less room now that I don't need to worry about the 8' cheater arm swinging around.

Bent up two 180's that became my upper bag mounts. A smaller radius would have been nice but the 2 different tube size dies I have are both the same radius. Oh well, I made it work with what I had. There will be a tube between the mounts for a crossmember/shock mounts.

-Joe
'54 R112

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 am

Wowzers! You've made a ton of progress in a very short time! That intake from Oz looks like it'll be fun too. For those of us that don't have to deal with such stuff (yet), what sort of pollution/inspection rules do you have to build to? Do you suspect you'll have any trouble getting this whole conglomeration on the road legally?

Mike
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off