Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Re: Sol's '54 R110

Oh yea, he is a great dog. Just can be an arse pain some days. He is a pit/boxer mix near as we can tell.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Dogs are like little kids, their world revolves around you and they want to be a part of it and included, It can be hard when you are trying to get stuff done, but they need to be included when you are around.
When I'm trucking, my dog is with me 24/7 the only time he is not included is when I'm loading or unloading or going into the truckstop for dinner. When the weather turns nasty and he is scared, it can be difficult to keep him comforted and still keep my eyes and mind on the road, but I would have it no other way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm

My biker buddy has a mixed breed of Shih Tzu and bulldog. He named the dog BS. I call the dog Cow Pie and it responds. :t1812:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Dogs are like little kids, their world revolves around you and they want to be a part of it and included, It can be hard when you are trying to get stuff done, but they need to be included when you are around.
When I'm trucking, my dog is with me 24/7 the only time he is not included is when I'm loading or unloading or going into the truckstop for dinner. When the weather turns nasty and he is scared, it can be difficult to keep him comforted and still keep my eyes and mind on the road, but I would have it no other way.

So true. A guy once said you give a dog a part of your life. The dog gives you all of his/her life. Just about sums it up.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:06 pm

The intake manifold I bought arrived today. This is a factory ford part that was only available on some Falcons down in Australia. So now the truck will truly be international :D

This replaces the giant spaghetti monster that is on top of the Navigator 5.4 DOHC engine I'll be using :rotflol:

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Start of the frame boxing plus the rear cab mounts

I didn't put any holes in the next 2 pieces as my suspension mounts are going to land somewhere in that area.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:44 pm

gots_a_sol wrote:The tailgate was mangled pretty bad, so I elected to just build a new one (a bit heavier duty also)

Old gate

And the replacement which is just tacked up for now. I left the center open enough to fit the INTERNATIONAL back in there if I decide to cut it out of the old gate.

(the tubes are straight, not sure why it looks like it has a dip)

On the truck. Now I made it the same dimensions as stock so it sat about an inch lower than this. Well I don't plan on using the chains and I didn't like how it look, so I moved the hinges up a bit so it would line up with the top of the bed.

3rd brake light for safety. Top of the cab like a modern truck would have been better, but holding it up there it just didn't look right, so in the tailgate it went. 12" Led strip from Amazon.

Flush

And that is where I'm at right now. I have an old F150 I got for free I was going to take the engine/trans from, but I changed my mind on that and will be going with something a bit newer. I'm heading out in a few minutes to hopefully pick up that donor truck.

Awesome idea for making your own tailgate. Do you mind sharing your material sizes and some dimensions? When I bought my R120 we couldn't find the tailgate and it seems almost impossible to find one that's in usable shape, so I'm going to have to make one of my own like you did

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 pm

Bridge_Jumper wrote:Awesome idea for making your own tailgate. Do you mind sharing your material sizes and some dimensions? When I bought my R120 we couldn't find the tailgate and it seems almost impossible to find one that's in usable shape, so I'm going to have to make one of my own like you did

I have it scribbled down somewhere, I'll look for it tomorrow.

The upper and lower tube is 1.25" OD, 0.120 wall tubing and the uprights are 1"x2" OD, 0.120 wall. It is a fair bit heavy gauge than the stock tailgate which I think is somewhere around 16 gauge (.120" is 11ga)

Only issue with this thickness tubing for the lower tube is it won't fit on the stock pivot pins anymore. I cut off the stock pivots and welded some 1" OD tube in its place.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Nice fab work! Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 am

Bridge_Jumper wrote:Awesome idea for making your own tailgate. Do you mind sharing your material sizes and some dimensions? When I bought my R120 we couldn't find the tailgate and it seems almost impossible to find one that's in usable shape, so I'm going to have to make one of my own like you did

Hope this helps. I'd double check the width of your box before starting just to be sure. This is stock height which puts the upper tube in line with the chain hooks. I raised my hinges an inch so it is even with the top of the box now. If I had noticed it before I would have just made the uprights 1" taller (I won't be using the chains). I moved the inner uprights inward a bit (for aesthetics) from the drawing also.

This is with the hinges in the original location

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe
'54 R112
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off