Will these stock trucks keep up?

When what have does not fit one of the other categories, then this is the place to post it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Will these stock trucks keep up?

I loved the IHC logo "Femineered" there is some interesting reading about Internationals venture into appliances,

and creating Irma Harding, the woman behind femineering your kitchen,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 am

IHC like White got too diverse to keep focused on everything they made. They (IHC) owned Wisconsin Steel and were responsible for cleaning up that mess. They sold off the AG side because the truck side was more profitable, at a time they were hemorageing (Sp?) money.
White made everything from sewing machines to truck and farm equipment. Like IHC they lost much of what they had by getting too diverse.
IHC's truck and engine business brought in the most money, so it was kept, and the Ag was bought by Tenneco which owned Case. Both Case and IHC are old AG names and the brand name was worth more than the assets. Most of the AG stuff is "badge engineered" and painted different colors based on whos name goes on the final coat of paint.
Many of the big players in the 50's and 60's fell into the same trap. GM made 'fridges, so did Nash and Ford.
I Hauled so Ag stuff out of Mclaughlin Body in Moline, same item, painted red, went to IHC dealers/ yellow and it went to another brand.
A company can get in trouble being to focused on one thing or by being too diverse. Think Polaroid or Kodak, or IHC or White.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

This "L" will not keep-up.

I have an opportunity to buy a really nice L130 single rear wheel longer box, pickup. The axle ratios available were 4:3-1, 4:88-1, 5:57-1 and 6:166-1. I will be calling MUNDIES TOWING and have one of their roll-deck trucks pick-up-and-deliver for about $100. The "L" is running and driving. The hour drive could take most of a day because of minimum speed requirements on all major roads and bridges thereby restricting the "L" to side streets. I must cross one bridge to get home.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 am

Hi OldIHC folks...

I am looking at a possible project which is a clean 1954 truck body mounted on a 1978 Chevy C10 truck chassis, I also found a nearly stock one too. Both are in the midwest in the state Indiana.

I am waiting for more pictures of the frame swap truck. Way more parts available for a 1978 Chevy truck than for the stock truck. Stock truck looks nicer tho...

I will post if I make a decision either way..

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am

I do frame swaps all the time. Look for protruding parts and missed wheelbase calculations. C Series Chevy is WIDE.
I HATE an old 2WD truck with tires and wheels sticking out.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:I do frame swaps all the time. Look for protruding parts and missed wheelbase calculations. C Series Chevy is WIDE.
I HATE an old 2WD truck with tires and wheels sticking out.

I wont jump on it until I see some detailed pictures of how the cab is mounted and front and side views too....Anything else I might need to be looking at on this truck?

According to the current owner the truck is lacking a tailgate as far as sheet metal goes...there is no motor and no transmission but I can source them locally I think. I found a 5 speed out of a first gen S10 truck this morning and a 6 cylinder out of a Chevy car...

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:23 am

A daily driver, 18 miles round trip should be doable .

I have a 1949 KB1 tweaked ( went through it all from wiring,carb,ignition,steering box , spring shackles,fuel sending unit ,brakes etc. ) enough to be a daily driver but it is not for the fast roads. Stock except for a 2003 , Ford, 373 , drum brake rear end ( unable to find an IHC 372 ). It has stock suspension all around..new king pins but original leaf springs. It runs well but anything over 50 mph ( in m opinion ) would be risky.
Previous

Return to Miscellaneous