today was the day my number came up.

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:12 pm

today was the day my number came up.

I've been driving my own rigs up and down the road for neigh on 20 some odd year, more in other peoples trucks, and been driving a car since I turned 16. Today I tagged my 1st deer with my 9670. It was a hard hit of a full grown deer. I was able to confine the damage to the right side by swerving into the on coming lane, so it missed the all important radiator. Bent the bumper back and took out the grill and headlight panel. Either glass or bone gave my RF tire a slow leak, so it will be flat by morning.
I started the day with another flat, likely from another deer carcass I got a piece of the night before. All in all this is becoming an expensive trip.
I think I have the needed body panels in my supply at home, but I am running out of tires. I'll have to pull one drive off and move it in place of the steer with the leak, until I can look at it. I already used my spare earler in the day

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: today was the day my number came up.

I don't even count the deer I have hit. Heck,, I came across a friggin herd on the UP some years back ,,put two in the grill and never even touched the brakes.,,no **** way with 8" snow on the road and hooked up to a loaded 5 legger. Last moose I hit was a few months ago,, I could have missed him but there was a oncoming truck in other lane. Moose previous to that ran in between my trailers! All two lane highway in my area so its a shoe in you are going to put steaks on the grill. My MO,,not my truck ,,not my problem!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:35 pm

CB, we are MUCH more likely to hit a homeless person or a meth addict, here.
So sorry to hear about your collision!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Arnold Brothers have hauled a few thing from The Prairies out to the Wet Coast, for me. It is common to see this style of grill guard on their trucks.
Here is a grill guard company near WEW51L110 in Florida. http://www.raneystruckparts.com/semi-grill-guards/
Animal collisions are common here is Canada. I lost a friend and his wife when the hit an antelope. They were travelling at highway speed when the antelope jumped out. and turned their new Harley into scrap and sent them to the morgue.
As the weather gets colder and the snow builds in the Highway Thru Hell, BC#5, large amounts of ice and snow build up under semi trailers. When these truck descend into the warmer weather of the Fraser Valley these great frozen lumps start falling off. My friend and I were riding near the Sasquatch Inn on Highway 7. We were going for lunch. On the second to last turn, one of these telephone booth size ice blocks let go and passed a meter in front of my Harley. The ice block continued on into the brush and snapped off the trees for a 100 meters. I stopped riding in the winter.
Attachments
GRILL GUARD.jpg
GRILL GUARD 1
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Most people around here at least call those 'moose catchers'

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm

The 9670 was long gone before those came out in North America, Im sure I could import one from "Down Under" as the cabover IHC are still made and used down there, where the grill guards are called "Roo bars". I would like to get the windshield protectors they have down there for stones, for my 9670.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm

The Arnold Brothers driver told me that he got nothing but grief all of the way from Yorkton, Saskatchewan to the Lower Mainland. Other drivers were telling him my 1938 John Deere Model "D" was new when he left Yorkton and ran off warranty before he passed the Alberta-British Columbia border. The "D" started and ran and it was driven off the flat-deck. The tractor was 60 years old, then.
https://youtu.be/3iM4FvXb2f0
https://youtu.be/1tyvMAbRB7E
The "D" was my Father's tractor. A friend of mine owns is now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 am

MIK MAK has been building those moose bumpers for many years. MIK MAK initially started out building sleepers. Their shop is a few miles from our cabin. The bumpers reduce damage significantly but a moose broadsided across the grill even with a guard you could sustain $10,000 damage to a big truck. One area I travel of the boreal forest has not been hunted/logged for over 50 years and there are moose of substantial height and girth.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am

I know a man who has a trucking co in Alaska, he comment on those guards, is: Deer, no or minimal damage, Moose and Bear, substantial damage, sometimes more than if no guard, as it spreads out the contact area.
His comment was you NEVER want to hit a bear, as it will likely take out the steering axle and fuel tanks, and you better hope you killed the bear! They are so heavy and low, they tend to go under.
I think they started in the outback of Australia and were copied in North America, when we became more aware of things down there with the internet.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:51 pm

It snowed in Lotus Land yesterday. The snow started midday and continued into the evening when the temperature dropped to freezing. Only the main roads have been serviced and our street is a steep sheet of ice.
The parking next to McD's is ice. So far, I have not seen the Pod out for a jiggle jog.
I've not seen any super cars today. The snow really screws some people up.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion